Keeping frogs and snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost_in_the_Jungle

Reaction score
Does anyone house snakes and frogs together :?:

I know you can house scrub pythons and green tree frogs together

but i want to know what else you can house together :D

:shock: Whataya trying to keep him in live feeding :p

what :roll:

i know you can house some species of pythons with some species of frogs and i am wanting to know if anyone knows which combinations work

in the right sort of enclosure you can keep green tree frogs with pythons olives , scrubbies..
idealy it would be a large natural sort of display enclosure with many and varied hides,,melbourne zoo has a few python displays with frogs in them.

thanks ssnakeman

do you have any idea what species of frogs they were

and

if you can keep any types with jungles

Re: RE: Keeping frogs and snakes

ssssnakeman said:
in the right sort of enclosure you can keep green tree frogs with pythons olives , scrubbies..
idealy it would be a large natural sort of display enclosure with many and varied hides,,melbourne zoo has a few python displays with frogs in them.

If the snake was to become hungry what is stoping it from eating the frogs though? I wouldn't be keeping them together.

I believe that some frogs give of a smell or something that stops the snakes eating them

:D

Frogs arnt a major food source for any australian python, from memory the anteresias might have a go, and apparantly carpets may too(according to Shine 1% of the diet or something like that).

Apart from that the rest arnt known to eat frogs as far as i have heard/read.

I believe that some frogs give of a smell or something that stops the snakes eating them
tell that to the common tree snakes, tigers, browns, marsh snakes etc. i dont think they have been told yet :wink:

They thing i would worry about is parasites going from the frogs to the snakes via their crap.

cris the smell is the toxins they have in their skin

green trees and browns and so fourth are imune to it but some python species arent it makes them sick ( i have read )

hence why they dont eat them

:D

In a large setup such as an avairy i think it would be fine, in a small setup i think the ideal conditions may be in conflict.
Just be real careful if you feed the frogs pinkies.

why would i feed a frog a pinkie any frog that could eat a pinkie would be big enough to eat the snake or the snake could not eat it anyway

but thanks for your help Cris

But does anyone know what type of frogs can be keep with jungles :D

A friend keeps green tree frogs in his out door diamond enclosures, as all the diamonds are large they leave the frogs alone.

Lost_in_the_Jungle said:
why would i feed a frog a pinkie any frog that could eat a pinkie would be big enough to eat the snake or the snake could not eat it anyway

Umm u serious... u can feed pinky rats to full grown Green tree frogs easily....
And just cause a green tree frog can eat a pinky doesnt mean it could eat a 5ft long snake... :roll:

Maybe u should have given more thought to the idea before u posted on here :roll:

the main problem i can see with doing this is bacteria etc, any thing that lives in moist environments will carry many more parasites/bacterial parasites etc compared to arid living animals., i certainly wouldnt let an arid type snake live with a moisture living/loving animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back