Keeping Thorny Devils?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctaylor1989

Reaction score
Sounds like a silly question really, but
Is it possible?
I just re-read the list of herps you CAN keep, and they arent there at all.
The last list that I had from about..3 or so years ago had an excemption and forbidden list on it too, and they werent on that.
I know that they'd be rather hard to keep, seeing as they only eat black ants.
Just curious thats all.

do a search becaus their was a thread about this just recently.

basically hard to keep as u have to supply a buttload of ants every day

unless you live in the right sort out habitat naturally (like Alice Springs or somewhere) it's apparently too much trouble. Interesting article in one of the Reptiles Aus about Thorny Devils. The amount of trouble the zoo had to go to with all the ants would be too much to just keep them for fun. It'd be a full time job. They are spectacular though.

That wouldn't be a problem at my house, we have buttloads of little blank ants. Little mongrels they are.

The thorny devils are definitely cool animals, would be awesome to keep them.

this pops up everynow again,
no more thorny devil questions LOL
there just not able to be kept legally or morally

Basically from what i have read they are very easy to keep. The only thing is supplying suitable ants. If you live in an area where there are plenty of suitable ants it would be very easy to keep them. If you dont you would have to breed your own ants, probably not too hard but i wouldnt know :lol:

There are quite a few threads on this topic, use the search function, you will get all the info to your question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back