Kinked tails in mice?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
i'm just wondering what causes kinked tails in mice? Assuming its from inbreeding or is it just a genetic trait some carry I have 3 mice that i have started breeding to supply food for my juvies, 1 of the females has a kinked tail and so do about 3 of her 7 young. Would it be a sign of inbreeding?

It can be, and it can also be caused by overcleaning of the young by a female when they are still pinkies. It wont affect the taste, I promise :p

Kinked tails can be genetic - there is a strain bred by Jax that have a lightning bolt shaped tail for instance - but is more commonly caused by trauma. Unless the tail becomes necrotic it shouldn't be a problem. Depending on how severe and where the kink is though, it can affect the use of cervical dislocation as a method of culling.

going by the mother and a portion of her young having it i'm guessing its genetic but as you confirmed i really didnt think it would be any problem, thanks guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back