Leiopython hoserae !!??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

natrix

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
The white-lipped python is probably my favourite of the lot but I only just found out about the
Southern black White-lipped & that it's called Leiopython Hoserae....named by Raymond Hoser.

So is this an agreed upon name in the scientific community or is it the work of a man that's stroking himself , so to speak ?

i believe there the closest living python to an elapid,used to be venomous but somewhere along the line had there venom glands removed but i could be wrong,trying hard to keep a straight face here

i also heard there teeth are like surgical instruments as they prey apon elapids by first removing the venom glands rendering any bites to it self as harmless

hehehe couldnt resist
im not sure if the name is recognised

The name isn't recognised by the Integrated Taxonomic Information System www.itis.gov .

What I find funny is that when you name something after someone, the suffix -ae indicates the person it was named after is a woman!

Maybe it's not just his elapids that have had surgery!

:p

Hix

The name isn't recognised by the Integrated Taxonomic Information System www.itis.gov .

What I find funny is that when you name something after someone, the suffix -ae indicates the person it was named after is a woman!

Maybe it's not just his elapids that have had surgery!

Hix

in school i was always told that it was frowned upon if you named something after yourself if you discovered it.... so isnt it possible that he named it after say his sister, mother or grandmother in a really lame attempt to get around this tradition ???

sounds more loke hes made it sound like his name ray hoser (hoserae) if u ask me,with most reptiles,u will find many people try to get it named but it usually goes back to the first recorded name for it,but thats a big if,theres alot more to just naming a species,take for instance pogona henrylawsoni,thats gone to pogona brevis,and the canapy monitor,robert sprackland tryed to get it named after his wife as varanus teriae,but its definatly not called that,crap its scientific name eludes me,im not a morning person,lol but u get the drift

in school i was always told that it was frowned upon if you named something after yourself if you discovered it.... so isnt it possible that he named it after say his sister, mother or grandmother in a really lame attempt to get around this tradition ???

Quite right.

The normal way to do that would be to name them after your mother or daughter's first name. That way it doesn't look like you're naming it after yourself, and you have a greater selection of names to choose from.

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back