Lizard Behavior?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkwak

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I have a blue tongue lizard, and every time i rub its head with my finger it cranes its head up like a dog does when it's getting pats, would it be reasonable to assume the lizard enjoys the attention or is it some other behavior? (the lizard is not trying to bite me)

thanks,
Mac

Our skinks (Bluey included) will do the same... I can only assume they like it - or else they'd be running :)

Here's another skink who love's neck tickles

tickleme.gif

gets her front legs and head as high as she can to let my finger tip get in there to do the tickling and then rests her neck on tickling finger to get more sensation - I'm always very gentle - scared of hurting her.

I don't care what anyone else says, she's doing this because she likes the tickling under the chin and under her neck of her chest and it's her way of saying how much she appreciates the live food treats I give to her by hand.
My lizard even assumes the position and it's regular thing with her now .

I have been told by dragon owners that their much beloved dragons do the same so it's not a behaviour particular to just bluetongues and EWSs. I don't if geckos also do this too if they have a specially trusting and comfortable relationship with their people or special person.

Would love to see some photos of other peoples skinks, dragons, geckos and frogs enjoying a neck tickle.

The lizard has to be really comfortable with you and trust you a lot to voluntarily permit that kind of intimate physical contact. That's very special IMO.

Our skinks (Bluey included) will do the same... I can only assume they like it - or else they'd be running :)

Or backing off an inch or two and glaring back at you as if to say " who told you that YOU can touch ME ?" .

Last edited:
my lizard goes to sleep when i pat his head and under his chin. he loves it. my friend said that some scientists or someone like that said that it's thretening when u pat them on the head. i think he is wrong.

my friend said that some scientists or someone like that said that it's thretening when u pat them on the head. i think he is wrong.

obviously because predators stroke their prey on the head before the kill :rolleyes:

"i'm going to eat you, but first, what about a tickle?"

but then again i wouldnt know cz my bluey just ignored me when i used to do it... the snob

Last edited:
Touching them on their head/neck region IS threatening them - that's where a predator attacks the animal.
That being said my Bluey closes his eyes when I rub his head, but that's probably because he's scared...

I've had an experience with a EWD who was very tense when I was handed him, he became very relaxed, hind and front legs went really floppy and it closed it's eyes while I gently stroked it on the top and side of it's head and neck. It probably enjoyed my body warmth too.

It was amazing how it settled and relaxed while I was gently holding it and stroking it's head.

My little friendly EWS isn't held when I tickle her under the chin, and she shows she is not threatened by this because she is free to move away / backoff if she doesn't like it and she comes back for more of the same when she's in the mood for it.

I can only infer that she likes it. And I think that EWD found the sensation pleasant once it sensed I was not going to harm it.

I see no reason why a lizard or a snake or a frog wouldn't enjoy a nice tickle or being stroked once it has worked out that you not dangerous. (Not that I'm suggesting anyone go and try to pat a venomous snake).

my lizard goes to sleep when i pat his head and under his chin. he loves it. my friend said that some scientists or someone like that said that it's thretening when u pat them on the head. i think he is wrong.

I think it comes down to trust and just maybe that reptile REALLY likes you. I'm convinced they are capable of developing a strong trust-based relationships with their people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back