Lizard Identificationhelp

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPauly

Reaction score
Hi all
I just signed up to see if anybody knows what lizard this is. Its a wild lizard I had to rescue from a dog. While I had it I removed a tick on, should I do that or not?

Basically it was cornered in an alley between mine ands my neighbours house, the dog wasnt mine it was just roaming the street:evil:. My neighbour said the lizard is always hanging around her house so I just pointed it back under their fence at least it could be away from the dog.

Anyway what is it?

Just curious.lizard.jpg

yeah thats a land mullet. Egernia Major. Are you on the central coast? they are pretty common through that area.

Bellatorius major, and being a skink the tail is not the best place to restrain it. They can and do throw their tails.

Yeah thats a mullet, probably a colony of them nearby

Bellatorius major, and being a skink the tail is not the best place to restrain it. They can and do throw their tails.
I havent heard of that name change before, is it only recent?

Good job removing the tick. But yeah, try not to grab the tail. Although the tails don't break off very easily in big skinks and it doesn't hurt them, therbisnstill a chance and a broken off tail rarely, if ever, grows back as it was before, and it can get infected. Just for future reference :)

Thanks Guys

Im in the Lake Mac area near the coast. As you can imagine it was pretty riled up with the dog on it so it wasnt all that receptive to me handling it, man they are quick, much quicker than a bluey. It was pretty narly when I had it by the neck and head area to remove the tick, you can see where it was in the pick it was on its right side about an inch from its front leg where all its scales are rough. I was fairly gently with its tail and suprisingly enough it was calmer when I had it like that, the dog was gunna do alot worse lol. We get a fair few Blue Tongues here and its not unusual to be moving them off the road or from animals and I normally take ticks off them, do the ticks hurt them or should I just leave them there.

Yeah the ticks are a parasite so you're doing them a favour by removing them. Well done on thinking of the animal's welfare and releasing it so quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back