Lizard suggestions and information

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

damo77

Reaction score
I want to get some Lizards that my children can have some supervised interaction with. The idea is to get the kids to build an understanding of reptile husbandry but have it a little more interesting for them than watching Dad play with his snakes.
I have been reading and researching as much as i can but cant quite find all the answers i need. I know replying to these threads can be a bit of a pain in the @ss but for the sake of the animals i would rather be fully informed and make the right decisions.

My needs and ?? are as follows

Must be able to be handled without causing undue stress
Need to be housed in a community of 2 or 3 of the same species (Preferably 3)
What would be the optimum enclosure size be for the suggested lizard (Hoping for a max of 6ft wide x 2 ft deep x whatever high).
Thanks for taking the time
Cheers
Damian

Maybe some Cunningham's in a 5ft enclosure?

i would say get 2 bearded dragons in a 6ft enclosure and put a divider down the middle.two in one!!!

cunning hams are to fast and they hide all the time i got 2 pairs to add to one of my pits and you never see them and if you do they just run and hide

Beardies can't live in a 3ft tank.
How come?

A beardie would be great, and your kids would love it/them. For one beardie many people say a four foot for one adult, but many people find they can house up to 2 or 3 (usually one male, two female or all female) as long as they are happy to live together. So a 6 foot would be a good amount of room for them.
Good luck

I recently got a blue tongue and it's sweet. Doesn't stress out when handled, loves to sit up on peoples shoulders, and falls a sleep when my missus give it a rub under the chin. They have great character and it always makes me laugh.

If I were to build a 6ft x 2 ft deep by 3ft high enclosure would that be OK to house 2 beardies? What about netteds or pygmy beardies? Do dragons prefer the climbing space?

A 6ft would be fine to house a lot more then 2, a 3 for 4 foot enclosure are big enough to house 2. Pygmys you could have 3 or 4 in a 4 foot and have plenty room, beardies will do a little climbing but prefer just a nice basking spot for most of the day.

I'm going to go with bluetongues as well, they are so placid generally and 3 could be housed in that size enclosure without to much trouble. My sons bluetongue was a lovely boy, he even used to snuggle up to the dogs and cats when he was out and they fully treated him as part of the family. They are also more robust than dragons even at a young age.

The extra height for branches to climb and perch on would be excellent for beardeds. Provide as many branch clumps as you have lizards and then one to spare. As a generalisation, Pogona barbata and P. minor minor can be a little on the flighty side and take more effort and time to get to settle than P. vitteceps. A couple of Eastern Blueys could be added, just give them plenty of comfortable hides. I will say that when you get a calm Western Bearded Dragon they do make awesome pets.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for you help.
So I think it comes down to 2 Blueys or 2 Bearded Dragons in a 6ft enclosure. I will build it so that it is easily divided in case the inhabitants dont get along.
Now I guess I better take the short list to the judging panel (the kids).
Once again thanks everyone for all your help.
Cheers
Damian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back