Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hethah

Reaction score
I noticed some corn snakes on an American docu-style show recently.

Has anyone heard of them being in Australia, or if there is an Australian equvilant with the same characteristics?

I love carpet pythons and childrens pythons, but I believe corn snakes just don't get to the size that others can.

They are illegal, but I have seen a couple once. THey are a pretty snake. Unfortunately there are always people willing to take the risk of owning an exotic. Sad but true.

There are 1000's of them here but illegal, there is nothing even close here as far as colouration for a first time snake. They are a wonderful beginners snake.

very cheap i believe aswell, last i heard was $100 about 6 months ago. but illegal, get a blond mac or something

corn snakes are exotic crap...anyone who has them should be dobbed in. get a licence and keep australian snakes. end of story

Two words, Night Tiger - Northern form of the Brown Tree Snake - , can be snappy and aren't a real handling snake in general, but are gorgeous animals, can get animals that are a rich red with cream banding, or ornge and cream ect, also the Eastern form, can have slight banding, but is generally a brown or browny orange colour.

I would have thought the closest husbandry wise would be a children's python.

I think part of the apeal of corn snakes to the beginner is all the bright colours based on albinos. One day this will happen with the children's pythons also and we will probably end up with a similar mix of designer animals.

Exotic crap !! Why are people so insular ? Fair enough they are illegal but that doesn't make them crap, they are beautiful snakes.

junglemad said:
corn snakes are exotic crap...anyone who has them should be dobbed in. get a licence and keep australian snakes. end of story

what debate? considering the amount of damage cain-toads and other introduced species have done you would think people would understand that owning an exotic reptile isn't a good thing!

Yeah it's way worse than keeping a cat or dog or mouse or rat or guinae pig or rabbit or blah blah blah

yes but how many times have lets say golden retreivers run off become feral, became a pack and made little golden retrievers?

however boa dose bring up a good point, shouldn't we living in this country be keeping pets that are native. instead of a dog have a wallaby, instead of exotic birds have native birds. though i can hardly talk owning a pair of lovebirds and 2 goldeen retreivers, not to mention some of my fish which come from the amazon.

SLACkra said:
yes but how many times have lets say golden retreivers run off become feral, became a pack and made little golden retrievers?

How do you think we ended up with Dingoes?

How do you think we ended up with Dingoes?

well they have been around for thousands of years. i am talking recently as in the last 100 years. also i do know that there have been problems with dingos breeding with other types of dog.

last time i checked, like the home of your beloved corn snakes, we still have free speech.
Nothing wrong with being insular either. If we were a little more insular in this country it would be better on a number of levels.
You like Boas and Corn Snakes but if you own them or turn a blind eye to them you are not furthering the hobby in this country one iota. How many boas and corn snakes have escped from collections? The people that cream their jeans over an international bitzer, and i refer to the 75% Jag (what is that???) and the 25% diamond cross jungle cross whatever else they muddied the water with that everyone was praising, should have a think as to why they are in the hobby.

Keep it native
Keep it pure
Here endeth the lesson

Well this country is full of packs of wild dogs doing untold damage to native animals and cattle and sheep. So to answer the question many many times, not necessarily Golden Retrievers though :D

SLACkra said:

however boa dose bring up a good point, shouldn't we living in this country be keeping pets that are native. instead of a dog have a wallaby, instead of exotic birds have native birds. though i can hardly talk owning a pair of lovebirds and 2 goldeen retreivers, not to mention some of my fish which come from the amazon.

Andrew, if it weren't for domestic dogs then w wouldn't have the major problem of Dingo Hybrids overtaking pure Dingo pops in the wild.

not necessarily Golden Retrievers though

booya :p

though i wreckon it all comes down to responsible ownership, if everybody was a responsible owner then keeping exotic reptiles illegal wouldn't be nessesary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back