male beardy question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hypertension

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the males only perform the headbobbin towards females, i have one 1 yr old male which bobbs to our female but also does it when he sees either of the babies we have recently bought.

The youngest of the two babies is one from Miss B just arrived today and my big fella has been going nuts bobbin for hours as the cage was sitting oposite the bubs cage til i moved it away.

Any thoughts on when a beardy can tell the sex of another beardy?

They will bob anything that they want to dominate, not just a female. My males bob at the Eastern skinks they are put outside with, I've even had males bob at me LMAO!

sexually mature males will try and dominant another male in order to show the females around that he is the strongest and fittest did the buds respond to him when my 6month old beardie sees a male bobbing it arm waves and lowers its head i think thats means its submitting

thats what i think but im no expert

Yup... I've had males head bob at me too :lol:

Males will also black-beard and head bob at other males as a way to assert their dominance.

Females will generally respond to head-bobbing by either arm-waving, or they will also head-bob back but it's usually a very slow bob - they almost look like they are doing very slow pushups!

neither of the bubs do anything in return other than watch him, they certainly did not do the arm wave or lower their heads.

And yes it is a natural thing to bob along he starts of fast then works into a slow rythem, damn he is funny once he gets going.

But still at what age can they determine the sex of another beardy?

I'm not sure what age they can tell each other's gender.

I noticed some of my bubs arm waving to each other at just a few days old :lol:

But seeing as the head bobs and arm waves are often a sign of dominance/submission, it's not the best or most accurate way to sex them.

Head bobbing is a dominance thing, not a male thing. It's just that males need to show they are dominant in order to "get with the ladies". Adult females will also head bob in the same way as the males do (and I'm not talking about head dipping that is a reply tp head bobbing) and even bite and hold on to the back of other dragons necks same as the male does during copulation. Females may head bob at a male to avoid copulation or even at a submissive female, they just do it alot less than randy males. I would think dragons could tell the sex of other dragons at a very early age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back