Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rozzza.louise89

Not so new Member
Reaction score
HELP!
I've got 2 new darwin carpet pythons in the same tank only young. I've just found little crawling bugs coming off them. Fairly sure they have mites. What can I do in the short term? I've checked my other snakes & I cannot see any traces of crawling bigs on them or white spots..
Advice or anything?
Any one from Whits7undays area that could give me the details of a GOOD vet that deals with pythons??

Thanks in advance!!!

- Feeling worried

Hope everything is ok with your Darwins. I cannot help myself but type mites into the search and there are few ideas and facts from an aerosol spray to a chemical free solution. Good luck

if i were you i would get into contact with the seller asap, be sure to dis infect everything an easy way to tell if you have mites is give them a bath or put them on butchers paper mites should be visible as tiny black dots...i have heard of people using top of descent to kill mites. hope this helps

There's not much point taking them to a vet unless they are causing health issues. If none of your others have them, there's a good chance they came with them. Have a look in this thread for a good place to start: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/got-mites-148641/

In the meantime, don't go near your other snakes after you've touched the infested ones. This is a perfect example of why quarantine is important.

Take them out of their tank, spray the heck out of the tank with a mite spray, then spray mite spray on a tissue and wipe down the snakes. Air out the tank and let the chemical dry on the snakes before putting them back in. Do this once or twice a week for at least 4 weeks.

yeah I read mite threads before I posted, but I don't know what descent is? I bathed them & put them in a fresh cleaned temporary tank, as its late I cant even get any butchers paper. but as soon as I picked them up I could see them instantly crawling on my hands. this "top of descent" where could I get it from?

top of decsent is a brand of mite spray sorry should've been clearer

Herp shop sells it mail order, mites isn't a major issue easy to contain and they don't effect snakes in small quantities so don't stress to much. My outside snakes get them often no big deal

oh okay, great thanks all for the helpful tips & that great thread: got mites?
for now I have just bathed them and transferred them to a temp home & tomorrow hopefully local pet store has mite spray otherwise will have to venture to get some.
but all good :) got the normal enclosure outside away from all snakes or tanks airing out until I can get the spray.
again thank you all - very helpful :D

I notice you're in Bowen. Do you travel to Mackay? I know a vet here in Mackay but not sure about Bowen.

Edit: since you don't have butcher paper, use paper towel :)

Edit2: took a pic :) this stuff worked fantastically, on my woma himself and in/around his enclosure.
anugy8yz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
not to sure about darwins but my shingleback was infested with them when I got him, I just kept him in a large plastic tub with shredded paper and sprayed and bathed him daily. I also looked inside his hide and squished them all every day and emptied it out quite often till they were all gone. I just used some bird mite spray that this woman at the pet shop said she uses on her albino olive. she recons its about the same and it killed them instantly. cant think of the name. aristo bird mite and lice spray I think.... got it at pet stock

sorry I know this probably isn't much help

Yeah I do travel to mackay but not often. My local pet shop had 2 cans of the mac mite spray. So I've got that now :) thanks.
whats the vets in mackay ? It's good to know where I can go if I need to :) thanks

Ashley at better pet vets. I've never had to go but asked locals who was the best for reptiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back