Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well all i know is i never had a prob and even when i went and bought the egernia they were all housed together... like i said not every animal has the same temprement. Perhaps if ackies are starving they will "eat anything" Besides not sure if you know but egernia saxatilis get to 135mm they aren't that small..

ackies get 60 -70 cm tl
ackies eat other lizards.
your ackie many be small from not having the right temps.
given the right temps it will grow and eat any small lizard

As far as i know he was a healthy boy who ate like a pig and basked daily he was around 50cm TL (2yrs of age) and the skink was around 2/3 his size TL and the ackie went to a new home for breeding purposes so he couldn't have been that "unhealthy" :) anyways everyones different yes i housed them together and had no issues call it what you will ..

As far as i know he was a healthy boy who ate like a pig and basked daily he was around 50cm TL (2yrs of age) and the skink was around 2/3 his size TL and the ackie went to a new home for breeding purposes so he couldn't have been that "unhealthy" :) anyways everyones different yes i housed them together and had no issues call it what you will ..

Some people never cease to amaze :lol: Ackies will chew their siblings legs off, what makes you think the Egernia would be treated any differently? Just plain irresponsible......
Jordan

The same can be said for sibling beardies,frogs ect as well urodacus does not mean this is always the case ;) are you saying that EVERY animal should be housed seperately then? because if thats the case then alot of people could be considered as "irresponsible"... JMO

Also i would never leave any animal in with another of a different species unless i felt 100% confident that they can be housed gregariously without any stress/issues, and i might also add that i have NEVER had an complications with my animals trying to eat each other...

Housing the same species together is one thing, hard to breed without a little male/ female interraction :lol: Housing separate species together is just not necessary and to me either suggests ignorance of behalf of the owner or laziness. Why risk it? Another enclosure isnt that expensive to set up.

Also i would never leave any animal in with another of a different species unless i felt 100% confident that they can be housed gregariously without any stress/issues, and i might also add that i have NEVER had an complications with my animals trying to eat each other...

ackies and black rock skinks live in very diffrent places. one animal suffers as there needs are diffrent

LOL :p so im an ignorant lazy person now.. pmsl perhaps when my monster ewd's eat my beardies and frilly's and everything falls apart i'll remember that and think why oh why was i sooo lazy irresponsible and ignorant ;) :D

LOL :p so im an ignorant lazy person now.. pmsl perhaps when my monster ewd's eat my beardies and frilly's and everything falls apart i'll remember that and think why oh why was i sooo lazy irresponsible and ignorant ;) :D

Yes :)

Jordan

Tristis the enclosure was 5ft long and there was a cool end of 23-25 degrees provided to cater for the egernia..

I, as a self acknowledged reptile expert, have come to a conclusion about this thread.
The problem is that the person did something wrong.

The only reason I say that there should be little humidity is because I have been keeping Gilleni for about a year and had some real trouble getting them to shed properly and was told it was due to the fact I was increasing the humidity and trying to help the skin come off by soaking it when I should have in fact been keeping the humidity down. I haven't had any problems since then with shedding and assumed that accies would be similar. I have heard very differing opinions though having a moist digging box. I guess as they say you shouldn't assume because it makes an *** of u and me.

i dont recall her ever saying he had a shedding problem...infact she told me shedding was fine....
i was wandering if it could be circulation...& how that could happen
as stated her temps are fine..& accie lives alone
i'll tell her to go to a vet after she has read all this ....

Thankyou everyone....all valued opinions!...D/L

its a common problem with captive tegu s which are a south american monitor like lizard the condition is called "ringing" i have never heard of it in australian monitors tho ,it is when the cage is to dry OR to humid and the skin around the toes does not shed properly and cuts off the circulation to the living part of the toe nail. it is very hard to spot especially in monitors that are not handled regularily.

thanks Dabool...the info is great...tells me what to look for with my little one as well...
yes....she handles him daily.....but shocked with toes...as i would be ...but mine hasnt many
thats why i asked the "brainstrust"....the "gang".....a great sourse of debate! without asking for one

cheers guys & girls...will forward imfo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back