Mt. Crawford (lots of pics)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

imalizard

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey,
These are some pictures from Mt.Crawford forest in the Mt lofty Ranges. Weather is still quite chilly here so didn't see many reptiles. Lots of tadpoles are around but couldn't find any frogs!

We got here when the wildflowers were starting to flower. Don't know what any of them are called:lol:. Little help?

S6305596.jpg

S6305597.jpg

S6305600.jpg

S6305603.jpg

S6305606.jpg

S6305607.jpg

S6305610.jpg

S6305616.jpg

S6305618.jpg

S6305662.jpg

Some type of sundew I think
S6305658.jpg

S6305672.jpg

S6305689.jpg

S6305694.jpg

S6305702.jpg

S6305701.jpg

Found these small skinks everywhere...
S6305677.jpg

S6305678.jpg

S6305673.jpg

Some type of centipede I think
S6305682.jpg

S6305681.jpg

Saw this nicely coloured shingleback following his lady friend.
S6305633.jpg

The habitat was always changing every 400m or so. There were grass plains, thick mallee, open eucalypt forest. bog areas, dry scrub, pine, dense grass trees etc. Such a mixture!

S6305655.jpg

S6305594.jpg

S6305685.jpg

Have more habitat shots but they are a bit boring. Heaps of parrots and fairy wrens all through the forest. Lots of western grey kangaroos but my camera has a shocking zoom:p.

Going to the Flinders Ranges next!

Daniel

Wow awesome shots i like the centipide and the shingle great photos!

Im betteing there would probably be a few turtles in that small lake/pond and a few froggies

Heard lots of frogs but didn't see any. There is a few turtles but this time it was a bit cold for them. Next trip is actually deep creek conservation park.

nice pics the centipede looks like a house centipede but dont know how it got there

BEAUTIFUL pics!!!!!! The purple star looking flower witht he dot of yellow near the centre is a wild orchid. Brilliant photography..... cant wait to see the pics from the Fllinders!!!

Nice flora & habitat shoot's, Sweet Shingleback, i'm surprised you didn't find more with all that different habitat.
Thanks Tim.

Thanks guys,

I thought the purple one was a type of orchid.

Dragon1 they were very cute with there small heads haha...any idea what they are? Im not good with the little skinks.

Ryan im not sure what type of frogs are in that area... i did hear lots of Limnodynastes dumerili and maybe Crinia signifera. I saw a couple of Limnodynastes dumerili tadpoles but unsure of the other ones. No pictures of tadpoles as most of them were too small or you couldn't see the picture due to the tannins and reflection.

Tim, I would of found alot more but I was just there for the wildflowers and the recent rain that filled the creeks. Should of went this sunday as its going to be nice and warm. It really amazed me how quick the habitat changed.

Will be going to Deep Creek Conservation Park next summer holidays for the hiking. There's ment to be lots of western greys and bird life there. Hoping to get some snake pictures.

I also saw a Lerista dorsalis or a hemiergis peronii. I don't know which one...all i remember is that it could kinda swim in the sand and the grey tail with spots.

Nice photos. Where exactly in Mt. Crawford did you go?

I regularly go to the pine forests and sclerophyll forests of Mt. Crawford near Williamstown and Birdwood.

Well we went all over really but we followed the creek near the old church ruin/ cemetery and then found most of the wildlife on the Jenkins Nature walk. We found the native forest more interesting. The lone pine area was also good. We camped in the Cromer area... that's were its real thick with grass trees. We might go again in the summer.

I also found 2 beardys and 1 blue tongue but didn't take photos of them.

Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back