My frilled dragon very sick "help"

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macaisme

Not so new Member
Reaction score
can someone who breeds or has longterm has these wonderful lizards please pm me with a phone no, my lizard totally off food, lathargic, looking very depressed. thinking he bound but need a idea from some one with knowlege in this area. i have no vets here in mildura with any idea. i have two frilled lizards, other very healthy! husbandry near perfict by the book. cant find any useful information. please please help

i dont have frilled neck lizards but i have bearded dragons
my guess is that it ate something a bit big for it and what this does it puts pressure on the spine and they dont want to move or eat. u can give him a warm path and massage his belly lightly. keep him warm and hydrated.

i do not call myself a expert....

please tell me the size habitat...& its structure
it it glass.....wood...mdf...?
does it have front glass doors?
how old is he/she?

i know this sounds trivial....but it will help

There are several things that can make a frilly stop eating/become "moody" and alot of questions need to be answered in order to determine what that actual problem is...For instance do you house the 2 frilly's together what are their age and sex? what do you feed them what substrate are they on what does their heating consist of? do you feed them together? are they fed ina tub? How long have you had them for? How much are you handling them? ect...I have kept frilly's for a relatively short time but I can tell you they are totally different to keep from beardies. Also I believe a member called jan has a fair amount of experience with frilly's as she has 11-12 of them! :shock: lolz. Sometimes if a frilly's is left to get "moody" they will refuse to eat again and it may become fatal. All the best with your li'l critter, hope it all gets sorted. Cheers K

They are only young, about 250 to 300 gms my original is not in a good way. i noticed that he still gets around the cage. just lathargic. he been put an a diet of 1 part egg, 2 parts dogfood .5 part nutivite. twice week. and about .03 ml each feed and about .05 ml day of water. forced with a syringe.
They are togeather in a five foot aquariam with newspaper as substrate. with fluro reptile 10, and a 100 watt mercury vaper bulb. with the required water at each end to keep humidity up.and sprayed twice daily and covered at the moment.
They have been fed on crickets dusted in calsium, treated the same.
But only one has a issue. i have been trying to lightly massage stomach of the ill one, it was promoting bowl movment with a lot of straining. but now if i try it put it in unconscious state. Handling was only done three times a week when feeding, but now is handeling is done daily to administer water.

Hope this gives a better idea.

Bugger bugger bugger. Disrigard last post. He Died thismorning!

What a horrible thing to go through! I'm sorry you weren't able to save him...It just goes to show you they are a reptile that definitely needs more researching ect..

Hello

Hello,

I am sorry for your loss. How is your other one doing??
How are the temps?

Tracie

The other is going great, i got him about 3 week after the other, he is double the lizard. going back on my post, i have had poblems with the other for the start. starting to wonder if it consumed something from the suppyer before purchasing. spose to late to worrie about it now, just learn from this for the future. Thanks for the advice all, hopfully my futre posts will be of good. thaks

sorry for your loss.....
they fret easy & can die from being in a depressive state....
do you feed rodent.....has good calcium intake without the extra use of supplements
dipping woodies in the cat food...then feeding the frilly entices them to eat live as well

I dont have any frillies anymore but sounded like it went through a sulk. Paul Curtius (?) care sheet on them talks about it and some ways to overcome it. If you havent read it I think its on the VHS website, a good read too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back