my rat has the sniffles!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they're all carriers then why is the contagious thing an issue?

It is a dormant bacteria that will not unless triggered come forward.I personally dont understand it 100% myself but can only speak from research and experience.My understanding is that it is the same as humans with the common cold, unless we get run down or come in contact we may or may not get sick.Some have a built up resistance and some do not , others get sick and get better and others do not. Sorry but thats the best way I can explain it, maybe someone else can add to the discussion or the link Ive posted may help you understand it a little better.

i'll leave her in "solitary confinement" for a while away from the other rats and see how she goes. i haven't seen any red discharge from her nose yet. currently i have her sitting in a shoebox on my desk here so i can keep an eye on her, and she seems to be calm and quiet inside the box. every time i go to check on her she starts sniffing at the air and then starts sneezing from all the active sniffing. she hops out, does a quick walk-around and then jumps back in her box and i keep the lid closed so she can rest.

i'll stick her in a bigger container for the night, with her shoebox inside of it in case she wants to do a walk-around.

if she doesn't show signs of improvement, or seems to be getting worse, then i'll cull her and one of my snakeys will be getting a feed.

Feeding her to your snake after you cull her will do it no harm, unless you have given her some medications then personally I dont feed them to anything they end up in the bin.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back