Nephrurus Amyae/ Asper

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwi1

Reaction score
Hey all, i'm just starting out and have a few questions. I'm interested in Nephrurus Amyae and Asper, but have noticed that there are same out there that look the same. What are the distinctive difference between amyae and asper besides their colour?
Look forward to your replies

size , tail , color , eyes , location , environment, placement of tubercles
lots really

Hey all, i'm just starting out and have a few questions. I'm interested in Nephrurus Amyae and Asper, but have noticed that there are same out there that look the same. What are the distinctive difference between amyae and asper besides their colour?
Look forward to your replies

As far as I can work out, just geographical separation of the wild populations. My guess is that the asper from north-eastern Queensland is more humidity-tolerant than the amyae. However, just to complicate things, the asper's range extends into south-western Queensland, which is similar to the amyae's range as far as humidity is concerned.

As someone who followed the whole Morelia, Liasis, Python, Chondropython genus argument about pythons during the 80's and 90's, I reckon it's all part of a conspiracy to keep professional herpetologists employed! :)

I've long been of the view that, for wild types, it's more helpful to think in terms of populations (a discoverable natural phenomenon) and avoid worrying too much about species/sub-species distinctions (an invented classification system subject to varying interpretation) unless you're a serious researcher. The ability to interbreed and produce fertile offspring is often considered a defining characteristic of a single species, but even that is complicated where the technically interbreeding individuals don't share a common geographical range.

My advice? Get the ones you like and can look after well, and don't interbreed among individuals from populations that don't/can't interbreed in their wild state.

size , tail , color , eyes , location , environment, placement of tubercles
lots really

may sound silly but what are the differences between their tails, eyes and placement of their tubercles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back