new blue tongues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nico77

Reaction score
Just got back from picking up 3 blue tongues and thought i would put some pics up . Im pretty sure i have 3 males and 1 female but i need to get 1 of them probed to be sure . If anybody has a adult female and wants to swap for a male let me know .

cheers nico

no photos, i wouldnt bother getting them probed, not very accurate.

This one is a mates that i have on loan , looks hypo and im not sure what sex it is but it will be getting bred with one of the new ones .
DSC05320.jpg
DSC05318.jpg
male
DSC05315.jpg
male
DSC05314.jpg
female
DSC05311.jpg

cheers nico

Whats the best way for sexing ? I was going to wait till september and put them together to see how they act . At the moment the 2 males and the female are together and seem to get along . Should i keep the female seperate so it will breed with the light one (if its a male) or put the female in with blizard ( the light one) now ?
This is my first go at breeding so any tips would be great .

cheers nico

nico77 You don't say how old the blueys are. The sexing is difficult if they are under 1 year old and sexually immature.

If they are over a year old. take them to an experienced reptile vet and he/she can do a visual sexing by checking their vent. Probing can be very dangerous to the animal and most reputable vets probably won't do it.

Its good to know their sex so you can understand their behaviour.

All my blueys are close to 2 years old and one is male and all the others are female. Happy times come late August/September.

Oh yeah that might help hey lol , they are over a year old (not sure on the light ones age ) and the 3 have bred before , its mainly the light one that im not to sure on , but its not to far behind the others in size . Is it possible that my female is pregnant already ? She looks pretty big but im guessing shes been fed well getting ready for breeding time .
jewfish , when do you put yours together ? I have read that the second week of september is a good time , does that sound right ?
Heres a un focased pic off the four together , i will get some more pics when my new camera shows up .
blueys.jpg

cheers nico

hey nico, the female in last pic is stunning!

congrats :)

I hope its a girl :) , the 1 that is second in from the right is a girl and the light 1 (blizzard) looks like her so my fingers are crossed .
Anybody else think it looks like a girl ? Does anybody know a reptile vet some where close to brighton that can sex blue tongues ?

cheers nico

I've been told that males have larger heads and straighter bodies than females. So, i'm thinking the light one and the second from the right are both female. :)

Good luck!

bluetongueskinks.net has a good caresheet and info on how to sex em.

@hnn17 - no offence intended towards you, but bluetongueskinks.net is a site run by a guy that has never seen a wild Bluey in his entire life.

The caresheet is not something I'd be putting relative newbies onto due to the rediculous feeding suggestions, and the blatent BS that Zach (the owner) has just written up to make himself seem more intelligent.

Ontop of that - I would never trust that anything that came from him was pure. Thank god I'm living in Oz!

I just want to state that The site is good as a community site, just the care sheet is written in a way that it makes Blueys seem alot harder to keep than they actually are, and this leads to people freaking out over little things that don't need to be worried about.

I was probably a little harsh pin pointing Zach (pulling my head in) - he's put the site/forum up for everyone etc..., but i would not be relying on his advice that's all.

Another thing, most of the advice is written for Americans, so therefore it focuses more so on the Indonesian varieties and how to keep them indoors. So alot of the info is irrelevant for Aussies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back