New Tiger Snake :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you tell from this? How can you sex tigers? Macca wearing 'Big Johnny' :)

Last edited:
G'day mate,

It's all to do with tail shape and length. Have a look in Rick Shine's "Australian Snakes - A Natural History" for a basic comparison. From that photo it looks like a male, but to be 100% sure, post a photo of the snake from underneath, with it sitting on a pane of glass or perspex.

Ah, so you finally got one Jos, good on you. We need to get off our bums and come and have a look. If we are still welcome that is!

Very nice, looks like a male to me…………….

I'm still waiting Ray!!! The herps are everywhere at the moment!

This is my first tiger snake. Do they generally poo a lot? He arrived Saturday night, and when I put him in the enclosure, as soon as he found the water, he stuck his head in there and had a huge drink. He has pood 5 times in 3 days? I have fed him 2 fuzzy rats sunday / monday. He was neglected, and is very skinny.

Lovely looking snake, and i'm not usually a fan of elapids

Does that mean I should be feeding him more? How often do people suggest to feed a tiger snake. I have been told to feed him pinkies preferrably. He was originally wild caught, and apparently cause they mainly feed on frogs, they don't digest furr too well?

Does that mean I should be feeding him more? How often do people suggest to feed a tiger snake. I have been told to feed him pinkies preferrably. He was originally wild caught, and apparently cause they mainly feed on frogs, they don't digest furr too well?
I have three of varying sizes from about 3 feet to about 4 foot 8inches and they all eat like pigs and poo at least once for each prey item they consume. They always seem to save the next poo until you clean out the enclosure. Mine feed once a week regular as clockwork and usually average about 4 weaner rats each. If yours was originally wild caught I would worm him as a priority if it hasn't been done already.
I am not sure if fur is digested at all. The scats I find seem to have a bit of fur in them all the time.

Thanks everyone for your comments :)

Thanks baxtor. So how often do you clean the cage? Every time they poo? That'd be every day! So you give them 4 weaners each, every week?

Voodoo- :p I know how you feel! I have been trying to buy tigers, colletts, RBB's, and others for ages and ages, but they're like hot cakes! I always missed out. I saw the add and contacted him straight away. I was sooo stoked when I got him! He's awsome, pretty fiesty little fella! I used to live right near Lake Alexandrina, and always wondered how I could get one of the tigers. :D

I've got a new RBB on the way too thanks to a good friend :D;)

I know this picture is very dark, but does that help?

Last edited:
Sorry, I just realised how bad that photo was. I'll get a better one and post it :)

Thanks everyone for your comments :)

Thanks baxtor. So how often do you clean the cage? Every time they poo? That'd be every day! So you give them 4 weaners each, every week?

Jozz with very few exceptions 4 weaners weekly each, leading into a shed doesn't seem to slow them but I will usually not offer if it is right on time of shed.
Normal routine is feed sunday afternoon, first poo sunday evening (I assume this is the last one from previous feed) then nothing monday, tuesday and wednesday then one a day for next three days taking me back to sunday and we go again. This is not like clockwork but it's not far from it. real fun and lots of newspaper

Cool, thanks again baxtor :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back