New Turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vixen

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just posting on behalf of my brother, he got a little short neck the other week and he just wants to know what happens if you want to go on holidays or something, I dont know much about turtles so I couldnt advise him. How long are they able to go without food?

I get my neighbours to feed mine when I go away. When they are small they eat everyday.

When they are bigger I guess it depends on how long you are going for. I wouldn't leave mine more than 3 days without being fed.

I think it would also depend on if they had feeder fish in with them, if they had something to snack on I guess they could be left longer.

He's not tiiiiny tiny, around 7-8cm across his shell roughly. He has alot of weed in the tank to, so would he be right with that and if they put a few fish in there aswell then? They'll only be gone for 3 days

Hi VixenBabe,

Turtles do not need to be fed every day. In the wild, they eat food when they can. They are quite capable of going several days without food.

Three days without food will not harm a healthy turtle.

Regards,
Michael.

He's not tiiiiny tiny, around 7-8cm across his shell roughly. He has alot of weed in the tank to, so would he be right with that and if they put a few fish in there aswell then? They'll only be gone for 3 days

I would load up with the feeder fish

Turtles only need to eat the size of it's head eat time
I have two small murray shortnecks that I feed every few days with pallets (about 8) and then 1 day of meat of meat (size of it's head).

I am not 100% with long necks and whether thay are big plant eaters but like fish they will eat what ever you put in the tank so if you put in some feeder fish it will probably eat most of them when you put them in.

3 days is fine if you feed it before you go and then again when you get home.
I don't like getting people to feed my turts or fish because they always put in too much, if you do get someone to feed it show them how much to feed. Otherwise you have a really dirty tank and filter full of food when you get home. Like fish it is better to wait till you get home then over feed it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back