Newbie... first snake questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black.Rabbit

Reaction score
Hey there... as the subject suggests I am a newbie

I obtained my licence 6 months ago but have only got around to organising a pet snake for myself now :)

After much.. MUCH research I am pretty sure I have decided on a Woma... The docile/easy feeding/curious nature appeals to me (and my 4 year old son). I have found a breeder in Sydney who will have $300 NT woma hatchings in the next week or two, so after they have a couple of feeds I'll probably get one...

I think they are gorgeous however I am more appealed to snakes with a more defined head such as a rough-scaled or darwin... or centralian. Although I have read all day that they tend to be snappy and can be hard to feed for the first year (except for the roughy)

I only have a R1 licence and roughys are a R2 classed snake which REALLY sucks because I think they look better than the woma.

I have read a lot on darwins although not much on centralians so any more info on those from their owners would be much appreciated!

Is there anything anyone can suggest?? a snake with a woma personality with a more defined head? lol... picky aren't I??

as you read through threads on here for newbies you will find most people will agree each snake has its own personality. woma's are a great snake. have a high feeding response but are also very docile.
my 1st snake was a jungle and he was also very placid and in the 1st 3 years didnt bite me at all.
go through some of the other threads about 1st snakes and see what you think for yourself.
good luck

Hi :),

My first snake was a centralian and she hasn't bitten or even tried to since i got her, and my second, third and forth :p were Darwin all lovely,
as bucky said all snake have there own personality :D,
but good luck choosing i know i couldn't so i got more hehe :D

I've been reading quite a few posts most of the afternoon :) ....which is making it a little harder to decide lol

It would be a pretty bad idea to get 2 new snakes around the same time huh? I am so indecisive the only solution seems to be to get a woma AND a centralian hmmm

my brother has a centralian or classic bredli, and he is sooooo very docile. great snake

---------- Post added 28-Dec-10 at 08:08 PM ----------

if you love the definition of the snake i would go a centralian. get something that you like

haha as long as you read and do enough research on both (not that there much different except cage size for when they are all grown up :p)
and have the time and space i don't see why not i got my first one then a month later my second one :D
Good Luck and post pics when you get both or either :D

I'm in the same boat. :) I've been researching for weeks and all that I've read points to the woma too. So I'll no doubt go down that path - but am naturally distracted by all the other pythons that keep popping up in the meantime!
It's easy to read on the Internet about how pugnacious a particular species can be - but when you read advice like you've just received - it just goes to show you can't believe all you read. And yeah, woma heads are snakey...but their black eyes are so cute!!!

A woma for $300? I would take that deal :) I usually see them online for $400+.

I know, pretty good huh, he said the WA ones are $400 and the NT ones are $300.. he only had NT ones left and they haven't hatched yet. I said I'd only take it once it had a few feeds though cos the last thing I want is to try to give it it's first when I have never even fed a snake before.

I might have to ring around for a breeder for the centralian... I read on Snake Ranch they have them... compare price and dates they are selling...

Is there a limit on the amount of snakes I can have on a R1 licence?

and another (probably stupid) question... where on earth do you get the mice from? lol

I know, pretty good huh, he said the WA ones are $400 and the NT ones are $300.. he only had NT ones left and they haven't hatched yet. I said I'd only take it once it had a few feeds though cos the last thing I want is to try to give it it's first when I have never even fed a snake before.

I might have to ring around for a breeder for the centralian... I read on Snake Ranch they have them... compare price and dates they are selling...

Is there a limit on the amount of snakes I can have on a R1 licence?

and another (probably stupid) question... where on earth do you get the mice from? lol

if your in sydney extreme pets a liverpool or the reptile shop at narellan is where ill be getting my nice/rats from
i think you can have atleast 3 snakes on a r1 licence if not more

maybe post up an intro about your self where your from, any experiance you have had

Every snake has it's own personality, I have 2 darwins same age one is great and placid, the other will tag me non stop every ten seconds. I only get her out with gloves because i'm sick of getting bitten.

ok :)

Well my name is Ellie, I am 23 and I live in Sydney... doing the whole uni stuff for 2 more years and then I'll be a high school teacher. I am a single mum to a 4 year old terror that bounces off walls.

I have wanted to get a snake for a very long time, since I was a kid I have had quite the fascination. My son REALLY wants a pet dog or a cat but living in an apartment we are limited to the types of pets we can have.

Fish are boring, we have had them for years and you can't even get them out of the tank.. and they don't swallow whole mice... and they aren't cool.. which has lead to my decision to adopt a snake. :D

I am looking for a female snake in particular. I would like a higher female to male ration in the household :p

Feel free to ask me (nearly) anything, I am pretty easy going =)

...I am looking for a female snake in particular. I would like a higher female to male ration in the household :p

lol!! Excuse me for hijacking your thread but it does give me the opportunity to ask...does a snakes gender affect its temperament? Are females snappier...like with birds? o_O

lol!! Excuse me for hijacking your thread but it does give me the opportunity to ask...does a snakes gender affect its temperament? Are females snappier...like with birds? o_O

lol I wouldn't have a clue... just a joke I guess

I want a female because there is a female name I would like to use, and because I am never having kids again, using the name for a pet is the only opportunity I will get. It's probably a stupid reason to choose a female over a male.. but meh...

Not at all! That's what us animal lovers do! Two legs, four legs, no legs - they're still our babies all the same. (Hell, ya want to get sad - I named a coral in my marine tank, Geoff, and got very distressed when it started dying. He's...err...it's all better now!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back