Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby

Reaction score
hi im lookin for a pet reptile that doesnt grow to be too big and preferably is a vegertarian. i want to be able to hold it and it cant be so fast that if it gets away then i will never get it back. i dont want it to bite me and to be quite afectionate. I know that I'm fussy but i just wanted to know if anybody had any ideas about what i could get.

Hiya bobby, Reptiles on the whole dont like to be held and NONE of then can really be said to be affectionate ! Youwant a vegetarian so that rules out any snake(no insectivorous ones in oz, i think), perhaps a turtle might be what your looking for.
You can hold them
there fun
they wont escape quickly
and species Emydura are mostly vegetarian after a certain age(although hatchies and up to 1 year require worms crickets etc.
go see yahoo australian freshwater turtles and frogs site, they will tell you all you need to know! Cheers :D

I saw gregory handling berdies and they looked to me friendly and i think they can be good pets.
But nothing beets snakes. LOL I love snakeys best.

Bobby, a blue tounge lizard sounds like the kind of reptile your after. Having kept bluetounges myself for many years, i can tell you that with the right care, bluetounges can grow up to be a great pet reptile.

If you are able to, purchase a juvenile. By doing this, it allows the baby to become accustomed with being handled and is less likely to grow up wanting to take out a bite of you every time you handle it! :)

A cage 100cmLx45cmWx50cmH will be fine for a fully grown adult bluey. I use the recycled paper kitty litter as substrate due to it's ease for cleaning. Make sure a water bowl is present in the enclosure at all times and is always kept clean. At one end of the cage, provide a basking spot. I use a clip-on lamp with a 100 watt globe positioned onto a rock below and adjusted the lamp until i got a desired reading of approx 32-35 degrees C. If the enclosure is going to pe placed near a window, make sure to also provide shade and a shelter such as a log or hide cave.

I feed my adult bluey a varied diet consisting of banana, apple, dog food, snails, worms, crickets, grapes and pinkies ( baby mice, yes i know it might sound gross, but they love em). Feeding takes place in the enclosure on a dish every 2-3 days during summer and maybe only 1-2 times during colder months. Make sure any insects caught havn't come into contact with any insect killers ( baits).

A healthy bluetounge can be expected to grow to around 30cm ( head to tail). They are a great pet whose temperament and low maintanence make an ideal first reptile.

Hope this has been helpful :)

python_guy85 said:
Bobby, a blue tounge lizard sounds like the kind of reptile your after. Having kept bluetounges myself for many years, i can tell you that with the right care, bluetounges can grow up to be a great pet reptile.

If you are able to, purchase a juvenile. By doing this, it allows the baby to become accustomed with being handled and is less likely to grow up wanting to take out a bite of you every time you handle it! :)

A cage 100cmLx45cmWx50cmH will be fine for a fully grown adult bluey. I use the recycled paper kitty litter as substrate due to it's ease for cleaning. Make sure a water bowl is present in the enclosure at all times and is always kept clean. At one end of the cage, provide a basking spot. I use a clip-on lamp with a 100 watt globe positioned onto a rock below and adjusted the lamp until i got a desired reading of approx 32-35 degrees C. If the enclosure is going to pe placed near a window, make sure to also provide shade and a shelter such as a log or hide cave.

I feed my adult bluey a varied diet consisting of banana, apple, dog food, snails, worms, crickets, grapes and pinkies ( baby mice, yes i know it might sound gross, but they love em). Feeding takes place in the enclosure on a dish every 2-3 days during summer and maybe only 1-2 times during colder months. Make sure any insects caught havn't come into contact with any insect killers ( baits).

A healthy bluetounge can be expected to grow to around 30cm ( head to tail). They are a great pet whose temperament and low maintanence make an ideal first reptile.

Hope this has been helpful :)
hi, i think a blue tongue would be a great idea, or many of the skink family. i personally prefer shingle backs, they have a realy kool and highly unique look to them. if u haven't had a reptile before then they are also great for a beginer and low maitenance. they will eat insects and any fruits and vegetables. like most reptiles u can controle how quick they move by there environments temp. good luck. i hope i have helped u.

where do i get one and how much are they, will it be able to climb out of a fishtank?

bobby said:
where do i get one and how much are they, will it be able to climb out of a fishtank?

Bobby - You need to find someone who's blueys have bred this year. Ask on this site, as I'm sure there are a few here.

As long as you do not have any branches near the top of the tank, they shouldn't be able to climb out. However, it might be a better idea to not use a fishtank, but rather a wooden (or moulded plastic) vivarium. This is because the blueys (or beardies, or shinglebacks, or whatever) will need UV, and it is easier to install a IV light into one of these. It is possible to put one on a fishtank though, so I guess it is up to you really.

Bobby,
Welcome to APS, and wishing you many happy years of reptile keeping!
Also remember to checkout all the licensing requirements that apply to your state.

one of my blueys seems to be pregnant. Also If given the opportunity the can grow very large very quickly-mine are 2.5 years old and are almost 50 cm long

Welcome to APS bobby! Personally, I think snakes are the best and most species are easier to look after than lizards (IMO), but if you want a lizard I would definatly go for a Beardy. Great little buggers, friendly and lots of fun to play with :) Or maybe an eastern long neck turtle? I dont have any myself but a friend at school has recently bought some and cant stop talking about them! :D

Best of luck!

I think he asked for something that wasnt quik,last time i checked beardies were pretty fast so id go with shingles or bluies as i can run faster than them lol.

I only have 1 beardie ( barbattus..or however you spell it ) And he hasn't run out on me. I have only seen him walk but he's probably just lazy :D

bluey or stubbby would be the go but you may prefer a blotch blue tongue or something a bit different cause everybodys got common blueys, mate i just walk outside and there on my door step LOL. :)

go for a bearded dragon, or even a frilly, ive seen frillneck lizards sitting on ppls shoulders like they are a statue, IMO out of all the different species of lizards i have seen the frillneck has been the most tame. this isn't from just one or two captive frillnecks, this is with all the captive frillies i have seen

He he! I was thinking that BD :) I agree with MM though...Go the Beardies :D!

my 5 beardies r mad so r my water dragons also blueys can climb cause mine do there like never on the ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back