Pet shop prices.....?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KaaTom

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Im just interested in what everyones local pet shop offers you to buy your rats....? I went to a few last year and they were offering $1 each, I now have a place where I can sell my excess when needed for $3.50ea. My kids will mainly sell theirs as it gives them some decent pocket money for their efforts

I've asked all my friends with kids if they would be willing to breed rats for me and a few of my mates - none of them have agreed so far :( Great little money making enterprise for the young ones.

Yeah the girls have their own breeding rats and they also he to breed their own food for their snakes. I supply thebedding and foos and they do all the cleaning/feeding ets....

My eldest daughter is trying to breed straight black rats with no whit what-so-ever on them, she has 1M 2F with 1 litter of pups, unfortunately none were just black :(

I used to sell my live excess weaners for $2.50 each, minimum of 20.

Cheers
Daz

All pet shops up here are scrooges, so I thought $3.50 was awesome especially since the money goes to the kids

Wow that seems pritty cheap. One pet shop up here has offered us up to 5 bucks a rat for a medium size adult. I know mice and rats arent the same but we only sell ours to the pet shops for atlease 1.50 each and sell them at 30 at a time!

My last rat order was in excess of $1400. That's good pocket money in anyone's language. It's a pity there aren't more kids that are willing to breed to make some pocket money (particularly in places like Alice Springs). I'd be more than happy to finance someone's setup here and still buy animals from them (at a reduced price of course). What they did with the rest would be their own business.

My last rat order was in excess of $1400. That's good pocket money in anyone's language. It's a pity there aren't more kids that are willing to breed to make some pocket money (particularly in places like Alice Springs). I'd be more than happy to finance someone's setup here and still buy animals from them (at a reduced price of course). What they did with the rest would be their own business.

What are your overheads though ;)
Initial outlay, food, housing, heating, cleaning, potential to lose your stock etc

I'd provide the intial setup such as housing, food, heating (this won't be required here) and initial stock. Subsequent food, cleaning etc., would be the responsibilty of whomever was breeding the animals. Essentially there would be zero initial outlay for the person breeding the animals then they would take it from there.

We get about 40-50% of retail by the 1000 for frozen. Isn't interesting how the usual aps complaint is what petshops charge. Now the implication is the more they pay the better ,which will obviously push retail prices up.

I would be willing to sell and breed mice and rats if it weren't for my mum.:?:x:cry: She doesn't understand that i need more money!(crickets and tanks)

Anyways Cheers
REG:D

That seems to be the case with most parents. I bet once your mum saw how much you could make, she'd change her mind. ;)

Good luck..

I would be willing to sell and breed mice and rats if it weren't for my mum.:?:x:cry: She doesn't understand that i need more money!(crickets and tanks)

Anyways Cheers
REG:D

i just took at look at my local pet shop and i think hoppers where $4.40 and weaner rats where $4.90
so i would say thats probably not a bad price really. Mind you i try and grab them frozen from APS members when i can, so it doesnt cut too deep.

(this is if im buying them from my lps) no idea how much i would get for the excess

i get all mice regardless of size for 2.50 including hoppers

small rats for 5

mediums are 8.50

large are 12.

and extra large (800 grams +) are 18 wich is almost as much as buying one for a pet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back