Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lesa

Reaction score
I constantly see on this site people talking about or posting pics of their "babies" which will eventaully grow into very large snakes. My particular interest is Olives. I would LOVE one. I think I could house it for many years but what then?? I wouldn't want to purchse one of these beautiful snakes to have to give it up later because it grew too big. What are the enclosure requirements for a fully grown Olive? Are people who are purchasing them at the moment prepared for when they hit 4 metres plus? What sort of enclosures are we looking at for a snake that size?

I don't keep olives, but I know a few people who keep very large adults and I think you would be surprised at what size enclosure is adequate for keeping and breeding them in. People have very different ideas about what is an appropriate size enclosure etc.....and wether the animal is 'happy' or not. I have seen lareg olives breeding in melamine enclosures, 8-12ft long, 2-3ft high, glass sliding doors etc.

iv just got myself a baby scrub and before i did i took into account the size and temprement they have and my future enclosure for her when she reaches a good size will be an outdoor aviary 3mtres by 3mtres and 2 mtres high. i also have some quite large coatals which ill be doing the same with them at the end of the year as they are all around the 6-9 feet length now. but i understand where you are coming from as alot of people just jump into things because they can and dont realise what they are doing.

i have also thought this, i would love an olive but i couldn't where i live because i don't have the space for it's size.we are already planning to get rid of a couch for a large display enlosure when our snake gets bigger.

This week I just got finished putting together an inside enclosure for my olive boy- it's 2m x 1m x 1m. Takes up a full third of the snake room! They're quite a big commitment, that's for sure.

Large snakes will also require some serious thought into heating, a single 75w bulb just won't suffice if your living south of their range.

This week I just got finished putting together an inside enclosure for my olive boy- it's 2m x 1m x 1m. Takes up a full third of the snake room! They're quite a big commitment, that's for sure.

You're lucky to have a snake room. I could take over the kids playroom but they would probably mutiny. We went to an auction today. The house was on acerage and it had a huge shed out the back (for the husband), but next to it was a smaller shed that would have converted beautifully to a herp room. If only we had the millions required to buy it......:(

good post lesa, hopefully people will take that into account b4 getting a larger species of python ...and know what to feed as well i am always amazed at the posts that read all excitedly I have just got myself a coastal i cant wait for it to grow bigger ............now what do i feed it what temps what enclousure etc it would be a wise idea to find out about your reptile and its needs b4 you purchase as you may realise this ones not exactly what you thought it would be .

i have a new olive python and i didnt even have to buy or build a enclosure for mine i found an ad for a free one it is about 2 metres long about 1.5 deep 1metre high

Aye, I'm another who originally wanted an olive but balked at the size, though a year later I'm sitting here with a yearling coastal. Luckily we have a study that's been partially converted into a snake room, so once she's a monster I'll be able to accommodate at least a six foot enclosure for her, maybe larger depending on just how big she ends up. Blows my mind that anyone can make the space and money commitment for scrubbies and olives!

i have a new olive python and i didnt even have to buy or build a enclosure for mine i found an ad for a free one it is about 2 metres long about 1.5 deep 1metre high

Lucky you - enclosures are so expensive. My first enclosure (for a childrens) was a "hand me down" so the price was perfect. My second was knocked together by the hubby until my Atherton grows a little bigger. But the next enclosure will be a properly built peice of furniture - the cost of just the materials is well over $200 (without "furniture"). I don' t think a lot of people consider this before they purchase a baby snake. A click clack is cheap - what happens when they grow?????

the costs for my olive when full grown tank $0 electrics $0 heat cord and mat $0 hide $0 for everything else theres master card lol my whole setup i picked up for free

not what you're worried about, i'm desperately in love with diamonds (not quite as big), but had that thought were am i going to put it when its all grown up? i ended up getting a stimmie who i love for size reasons, but i'm still so in love and i do have a biger place now, so maybe one day

I keep a pair of adult coastals in a 8 foot high x 4 foot wide x 3 foot deep enclosure.
For the day i use 2 x 250 watt white globes and of a night i just flick a switch and then 2 x 250 watt red lights kick in, these 4 globes have lasted me years so far.

not what you're worried about, i'm desperately in love with diamonds (not quite as big), but had that thought were am i going to put it when its all grown up? i ended up getting a stimmie who i love for size reasons, but i'm still so in love and i do have a biger place now, so maybe one day

there not as hard to look after as some people say its like any other snake but on a larger scale i dont know about scrubbies they get bigger then olives but i think people think that and olive will probably normally get 4 metres but theu dont need 4 metre long tank

depending on what area you live in you can have them in modified bird aiverys outside.

I already have removed display units to make room for 3 4foot enclosures and a hatchy rack. I also have another 4 foot enclosure and a 3footer in my bedroom. I now have an olive and another on the way and now in process or organising funds to upsize their enclosures to 6foot x 2 x 3H enclosures. All my other snakes are carpets so another 2 a bit bigger aren't gonna make any difference

th_Picture8079.jpg
this will b 4 my coastal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back