pygmy blue tongue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crikey

Reaction score
does anyone know of anyone that has these blues as im really interested in them also how much are thay

cheers

They are not held in any private collections in Australia. I know of two organisations keeping them and thats it.

They are not held in any private collections in Australia. I know of two organisations keeping them and thats it.

Recon they will make it into the private hobby?

Extremely doubtful. As I recall, NPWS SA are keeping a close eye on them (alongside N.deleani) and I personally believe take permits will never be granted for them.

What about once the captive populations start to build, dont think they would hit the captive market at any stage?

Because they are endangered.

there are other endangered species in the hobby so i dont see as that a reason for them to stay out of private hands

I doubt they will Hornet. Adelaide Zoo is maintaining a number of animals, if they have bred, I have no idea. The other place I know of that has the species hasn't bred them either so I can't see captive bred animals entering the trade at all.

I personally believe take permits won't be granted for a number of reasons: they aren't needed in captivity, the efforts in place allow wild populations to remain stable (if not increase) and the NPWS do recognise when keepers only keep rare animals for the monetry side of things and lets face it, these animals would be a license to print money should you be the only keeper and breeder.

Oh ok fair enough. I would have thought that allowing hobbyists to breed them would be a good way to increase their numbers though. Think about how many albino darwins there are now or even GTPs. Or is that just a stupid thing to say?

It's a good point but think about how many of those breeders are just in it for the money?...and think about how flooded the market is now as there are so many breeders and advertised animals stay being advertised for months on end.... the same thing goes with all animals (geckos, bearded dragons etc) that get bred in high numbers and surpass the demand. This leads to hatchlings being killed (there was a thread about this) and to me, that is not right, that simply displays some people's greed and shows how truly passionate about reptiles they are. When it comes to breeding, people should interpret the market based on past years and be able to make an educated guess at how well their progeny will sell. If they believe hatchlings won't sell for a price they want, they shouldn't breed them at all unless they're prepared to hold them back. The same thing goes with morph breeding, people expect to breed the best either to a) make a name for themselves as the producer of a new morph, b) have a genuine interest in creating and adding additional colours/patterns etc or, c) $$$$. Then, when something goes wrong and they breed a normal looking animal, they get killed faster than they hatched (especially in large clutch producers such as pythons [additionally, there was a thread about this]).

Sorry to get so far off topic but personally, I would be happy enough to never see these blue-tongues in private hands.

i did a behind the scenes thing at the adelaide zoo last year and got to see their colony and according to the keeper the colony consisted mainly of males and only a few females.

I hope they never become available to public personally. The moment they do people will start taking from the wild and claiming they bred them to make it look legit on their licence. It happens at the moment with most other species so there's no reason to think it woild be different with these.

Ben

I hope they never become available to public personally. The moment they do people will start taking from the wild and claiming they bred them to make it look legit on their licence. It happens at the moment with most other species so there's no reason to think it woild be different with these.

Ben

I highly doubt that, as with some of the other highly vunerable species i'd say if they were ever released to the public (i hope they are one day) they would be closely monitored with mandatory DNA testing to ensure specimens are derived from captive stock

Maybe one day. I mean rough scaled pythons are are and were only discovered recently yet they're quite common in captivity now. I personally don't really care if they become available or not as if they do they'll probably cost a few thousand and I'll never afford that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back