Qs for rat breeders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane73

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just started to breed my own feeder rats and have a couple of questions for the more experienced.

Q1. Do any of you treat your rats for parasites (worms,mites,etc..)? If so what type of products and procedures do you use?

Q2. (I paired my rats up on the 14th aug, so I'm expecting litters around the 11th sep) How soon after birth can the pups be handled (I like to clean out the tubs every 3 or 4 days)? And do the mothers get protective of the're young?

Cheers in advance. Shane.

I do not treat any of my rats as it is not good for snakes. I have handled my pups two days after they were born and the mothers were fine, they get a bit worried but mine don't bite.

Thanks for that mate I appreciate the reply. I've had this lot for about a 6 weeks or so (waiting for the warmer weather) and they are reasonably social, but 1 of the females has the slightest of nibbles every now and again so she might find her way onto the hit list if she's not careful.

You can safely treat your rats with ivermec, 1 drop per 100 grams, dripped on the back of the neck. You basically have to drown them before they overdose on it, so one drop is fine for anything under 100grams, including pinkies and fuzzies if necessary. Pregnant mums are fine to be dosed, also. They can eat the dose too, but dripping it on is easier as they hate the taste. That will get rid of worms, mites and lice. Once you have treated them you can choose to not cull any for a while if you are worried about your reptiles. There is no point letting the rats suffer if they are infested with lice and mites though, as you will have poorer results with your breeding, and they will end up all scratched up with crusted ears and bits of fur missing from scratching so much. It is cruel to just leave it and not treat them. If they are not infested though, then there is no need to regularly treat them. You can avoid reinfestation by simply treating and quarantining any new rats you bring in, and making sure wild rodents and critters can't access your rats.

Rats don't always mate on the first day, or become pregnant on the first day they are mated btw, the female has a heat cycle and sometimes males can take a little bit of time to become interested. I am just saying don't be concerned if babies come later than your planned day :p

As to when you can handle babies, it really depends on the rats. If you are not familiar with the lineage of rats and how they behave under certain stressors, then I would wait for at least a few days, just in case you have a mum that eats her babies under stress. I can handle my rat babies as they are being born if I want to, my lineages of rats don't eat their babies under stress. I have bought rats from other people that will eat all the babies if they are interrupted though. Obviously this would not be desirable and you would probably want to use different rats if that happened.

Thank you ingie that's very informative, I dont have any problems atm, I just thought it would be nice to have a heads up on the matter.

Be careful breeding in the warmer months, can attract the unwanted snakes in your area! A friend was breeding them during spring until he found a 8ft king brown lounging around in his backyard checking out his rat setup, fortunate his dog wasnt close by!

Be careful breeding in the warmer months, can attract the unwanted snakes in your area! A friend was breeding them during spring until he found a 8ft king brown lounging around in his backyard checking out his rat setup, fortunate his dog wasnt close by!

Cheers for that mate, I was planing on breeding them in the spring and autumn (2 litters/female) for the comfort of the mums.
Will they breed through the winter ok, night time lows can get down to 3 or 4, sometimes lower.

breeding rats is pretty simple. I handle baby rats on there first day born, or whenever i need them. iv found the rumor that will reject they're babies is complete bs. (may happen in mice but defiantly not rats)
when you start breeding i find the first few litters take the longest, its really slow to start up then,, waaahhhmm you got rats left right and center.
The best advice i can give you is listen to Ingie, she has been breeding for a long time and has a lot of experience. probably uses the rat forum more then the snake one ;)

Temperament is highly heretible, so as Ingie said some strains handle stress diferently to others. Some strains bite their owners or eat babies when stressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back