Rat ID help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shell477

Reaction score
Is anyone able to confidently ID this as to whether it is a native rat or a 'pest' rat?

Have received a nest of three of them. Found in south-western Victoria. Nest was made of leaf litter, grass, plastic rubbish and twine, dug up from under a concrete slab (shed on top) on a farming property but there is plenty of native brush nearby.

Asking here because I thought rat breeders might have some ideas...

20131125_161802.jpg20131125_161747.jpg20131125_161805.jpg20131125_161814.jpg20131126_071322-1.jpg

Attachments

• 20131126_071322.jpg
    20131126_071322.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 121
I'm not an authority on rats, but one of the more conclusive ways of telling natives apart from introduced is the nipple count. None of your shots show the ventral side - do you have any? It would make ID easier.

thankyou adderboy, i do not have one sorry. i am about to go out, so i will get one at their 3pm feed and post it up then.

Brown rats (Rattus norvegicus),the wild ancestor of the domestic rat will make good pets if you hand raise them i have had black and brown rats as pets when i was a kid :)

The plan is to release them once they are grown :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Can you fill me in on the count?

I'm not an authority on rats, but one of the more conclusive ways of telling natives apart from introduced is the nipple count. None of your shots show the ventral side - do you have any? It would make ID easier.

Native rats usually have small litters

Pest rats have huge litters

Nipples aside, it looks to be the native Bush Rat (Rattus fucipes). The Swamp Rat (R. lutreolus) has quite dark grey feet and the eyes do not protrude at all, as they slightly in R. fuscipes. Both these species can be distinguish from the introduced Black Rat by the tail length. In R. fuscipes the tail is just short of the head and body length and is about two-thirds in R.lutreolus, while in R. rattus it is longer (only about one fifth). Bear in mind that head-body length is measured from the snout tip with the head forward and the body completely flattened and not crouching. An added difficulty is the tails are still growing on young of their age.

As Adderboy said, the number of teats is a good indicator. However, they can in fact vary within some species and so may not be diagnostic on their own.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be either but really the little critter is too young to make a positive id. You'll have to wait a little longer to confirm what it is. As well as having more nipples the tail length of adult (R fucipes) is distinctly shorter than their body, R rattus have tails as long or longer. R fucipes also have short rounded ears compared to the long pointed ones of the old R rattus.
Nest materials are no real indication either, but from what you've described and considering native rats usually construct nest of natural material it just might be R rattus. Just my opinion.

One thing about Bush Rats (R fucipes) is that they are very shy creatures and are reluctant to go into or under buildings and as a rule are found far away from human habitation.

George.

Not the best photo sorry - I had a close look at the little girl and to my inexperienced eye, I can count 5 pairs of nipples (I think). One pair just above arms, one just under armpit, one below that, then a big gap then 2 pairs towards the bottom legs.

20131126_160152.jpgrattie.png

Ooh i think I just spotted a sixth one below that last one??

Attachments

• 20131126_160152.jpg
    20131126_160152.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I should not have presumed and should have asked for more details of the location. It could also possibly be a wild Brown Rat and I cannot totally exclude a Pseudomys species.

As George said, R. fuscupes are found in areas of dense undergrowth, often with ferns and fallen logs.

Most of the terrestrial Australian mammal fauna has been around for around 100 million years. Rodents, probably a mouse-like ancestor, are a ‘late arrival’ at around 15 million years ago and have since evolved to into everything from water-rats to hopping mice. In all of these species, the females have only 4 nipples and all are located in the lower abdominal or inguinal (groin) areas. These rodents are referred to as the “old endemics”.

There are seven species of native rodents all belonging to the genus Rattus. These appear to have been derived from a common ancestor that arrived millions of years later than the original founding rodent stock. These seven species may have anywhere between 6 and 12 nipples, 6 of which are always located on the lower abdomen and the rest, if present, in the pectoral area. These rodents are referred to as the “new endemics”.

The Long–haired, Dusky and Cane-field Rats have 12 nipples. Bush, Swamp and Pale-field rat have 8 or 10 nipples. The Cape York Rat has 6 nipples. The Bush Rat subspecies “lutreolus” in SW Vic (sometimes split into two subspecies) has 10 nipples.
Black Rats usually have 10 nipples, Brown Rats 12.

Blue

UPDATE: Indeed I was too presumptuous. Well done Brown.snake – right on the money.
Just goes to show that there is no substitute for experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. Guess I will have to wait a week or so and see how they grow

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back