Rat making weird noises? should i be concerned?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotta

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hi all i recently purchased a male rat for breeding stock in the future , he is approximately 6 weeks old and he is making weird noises kinda like a mini guinea pig. should i be concerned? does it mean he is sick?or is it nothing to be worried about?
any help would be greatly appreciated
cheers
nilesh

of course its making strange noises

you should never call a rat "breakfast"

couldnt resist
sorry I know very little about rats
so cannot even answer you correctly

99.0% chance it will be Myco Plasma (rat flue) "ALL" rats are very suseptable to this especially when under stress (poor hygiene/diet) unless extreme measures are taken this person wont have a long life and that is how it is l am afraid .....extreme measures (for most ppl) a coarse of antibiotics but keep in mind even under excellent conditions this condition is HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS
solar 17 Baden...

Is it sluggish and having mini seizures? If so, rat flu. A friend of mine lost some due to this.

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

99.0% chance it will be Myco Plasma (rat flue) "ALL" rats are very suseptable to this especially when under stress (poor hygiene/diet) unless extreme measures are taken this person wont have a long life and that is how it is l am afraid .....extreme measures (for most ppl) a coarse of antibiotics but keep in mind even under excellent conditions this condition is HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS
solar 17 Baden...
I thought myco plasma was a condition that you could never get rid of only treat the symptoms? I have also heard that this can be passed on through genetics and these rats should not be used for breeding? Can you shed light on whether I have my facts right on this please Baden.

Andy

solar 17 Baden...

so i should just put it down? also canthis flu be passed to humans??
also would it be safe to feed it to my snakes? or should i just bin it?
thanks in advance

It can very safely be fed to your reptiles and the other question in two parts 1/ l dont believe there are any herbal or antiseptic remedies that will cure this and 2/ l have tried Baytril for 7 days im and although the rats improved and bred l would not go to that trouble again as IMO the Baytril and Myco Plasma being a gram negative bug doesn't in the real world make the patient feel on top of the world.....the following is just my opinion .... any rat that gets this (Myco Plasma) in the 1st. two months of life that has been "treated well" has a weak or lower than normal immune system and is not desirable as a breeder IMO solar 17 Baden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back