Red Sand Substrate for Geckoes..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jan

Reaction score
lm looking for red sand for my Knob tailed geckoes...l've tried different brands but l have not
found one that l like. The sand l've tried seems to set like concrete when it dries out (l keep one end moist and one end dry) Could anybody help me with sand brands which might be more suitable, l suppose lm looking for
a more grainy sand rather than a powdery type.....Hope you can help me:)

I like the Australian Pet supplies sand with a frill neck picture on it. I think you will like this one.

Thanx dragozz :) where do you think l might get the sand in Melbourne?

The hardness comes from the quantity of clay in the sand which is quite useful if you have burrowing species (eg ackies) because they can did a tunnel and it won't cave in on them. The cheap option, if that is what you are after, is brikies sand. A 10 litre containre will cost you a couple of bucks at a sand and soil place - if you bring your own container.

For gex you may wish to keep a wet patch of sand which will remain soft and give them a humid option.

I use desert sand but it is powder dry for most of the enclosure but I retain a wet section. I have cilarus which do not burrow.

Another thought is to mix your sands. Some washed sand with some desert or brickies sand until you get the structure you are after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back