Regurgitating snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mozi

Reaction score
Hey guys I've got a few snakes and have this spotted python (my first ever snake) for about 10 years now. Yesterday I fed it what it has been eating for ages (mouse) and this morning I found the whole mouse regurgitated...I've never had this happen does anyone know what it means? Hopefully not a sign of anything bad :( Everything is the same as it has been for about 5 years temps, caging etc and I've had nothing like this happen even with my other snakes so I'm at a loss at to what's happened...any info would be great

Regurge can happen occasionally for no apparent reason. In the absence of any other signs of illness - still alert, normal tongue-flicking, normal coiling - I would just wait a week or so and try again. Ensure that temps are what they have usually been, and the animal has regular fresh water (regurge often causes fluid loss).

As I said, just look out for any signs of unwellness, if everything seems normal offer food again in a week.

You'll get the panic merchants coming on here saying vet immediately, but it would be pointless if all other parameters are normal. The normal clinical signs a vet would look for - elevated temperature in cats & dogs - don't apply to reptiles.

Jamie

Regurge can happen occasionally for no apparent reason. In the absence of any other signs of illness - still alert, normal tongue-flicking, normal coiling - I would just wait a week or so and try again. Ensure that temps are what they have usually been, and the animal has regular fresh water (regurge often causes fluid loss).

As I said, just look out for any signs of unwellness, if everything seems normal offer food again in a week.

You'll get the panic merchants coming on here saying vet immediately, but it would be pointless if all other parameters are normal. The normal clinical signs a vet would look for - elevated temperature in cats & dogs - don't apply to reptiles.

Jamie

He seemed fine - shed his skin last week, was active prior to feeding, took the food straight away.Like I said I've had him for 10 years, same cage temps, etc same food nothing has changed! I rarely handle my snakes so I guess I can't even put it down to that. Guess I'll just have to keep my eye on him and make sure he is OK...guess its just a shock as its never happened to me before :) Thanks heaps

The smell!!!! I've had a regurgitated day old chick stink out the reptile room before. Worst smell ever. Made me glade that I installed the exhaust fan in that room!

The smell!!!! I've had a regurgitated day old chick stink out the reptile room before. Worst smell ever. Made me glade that I installed the exhaust fan in that room!

Haha I was lucky this didn't stink but once I left a chic that I could not see that I thought was eaten and I was gagging getting it out...lucky you got the fan I only got a window!

Yep fan and window is the best thing ever :)
I installed the fan in the built in cupboard. So easy to patch and hide if I ever sell. Took the door of the cupboard for the time being....

Yep fan and window is the best thing ever :)
I installed the fan in the built in cupboard. So easy to patch and hide if I ever sell. Took the door of the cupboard for the time being....

Heaps good idea....never know next house buyer might be a snake keeper too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back