Rottnest Island WA skink - Egernia kingii?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumala

Reaction score
I was on Rottnest Island on the weekend and managed to get some photos of this cool skink. I figured it was an Egernia kingii - any other suggestions?

I mangaged to get a photo with a 600ml bottle of Dare coffee for size reference of one of the specimens (and no it wasn't mine!) As you can see they are pretty big!

Attachments

• egernia kingii 01.jpg
    egernia kingii 01.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 318
  • egernia kingii 03.jpg
    egernia kingii 03.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 345
  • egernia kingii 04.jpg
    egernia kingii 04.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 701
  • egernia kingii 05.jpg
    egernia kingii 05.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 422
  • egernia kingii 02.jpg
    egernia kingii 02.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 429
I'd say you're right, it's an Egernia kingii. Good find.

Yeah it is a King. Rottnest Island and some of the other islands near Perth are full of them. On Pengiun Island (near Rocky), they are really tame. You even see them walking at times in the sand along the beaches. I have also seen a lot of them in the parks around Harvey, particularly Harvey Dam.

I used to be posted to garden island and there's heaps of king skinks there and heaps of tiger snakes too!

if u look on utube theres footage of a kings skink having a go at a brown snake,feisty buggers those kings skinks,one of my favourite egernias to keep

they definately are fearless that's for sure! The big black one actually went into my backpack looking for food!! It frightened the life out of me!!! :eek: I went into my backpack to change lenses and practically put my hand on it. It was right down in the bottom trying to get into the plastic bag lol. I definately wasn't expecting to have anything live in there :lol:
And yes the apple core was mine :p

Jumala you should try and have a 50cm 6 year old adult male chewing on your hand doing death rolls. They can easily take chunks of meat out of you and it bleeds A LOT.

Oowwww :eek: good thing I didn't grab hold of the one in my bag then!!

they look like an intelligent animal and I would think they have a pretty cool personality. Long lived species?

Last edited:
yeah t is a king skink there such a massive skink great scavengers and there beautiful

Cool Lizards, dont you think.
The biggest one I have ever seen was on Garden Is when I was there to photograph a few Carpets and Tigers on Carnac Island.

yes sefinatly dont get bitten,ive only copped the odd sub adult bite and they dont mess around,unlike land mullets they tend to bite instead of hiss,lol,no nips,they full on bite with a purpose,like land mullets with serious attitudes,but awsome animals to keep,display quite well to,not shy like other large egernias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back