Saggy skin

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guadalupe

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry if this is a silly question, but should bearded dragons have saggy skin? If I saw it on any other animal I would say it was dehydrated. I gave them all a warm bath yesterday and one started drinking and drank for ages... They have all had water in their enclosures... How do I make sure they are getting what they need?

Hi Guadalupe,

How old are they? In my personal experience, young dragons tend not to realise that stationary water is actually water. The best way to counter this is to spray them a couple of times a week and bathe them as you have. How much are they eating / what are they eating?

I have 2 central beardies who are 10mths old.

Red: not settling in well. She just digs frantically and paces up and down the glass trying to climb it or hides. Her colour rarely varies from dark even tho I know she does redden up nicely when she's warm and relaxed. This morning she ate 2 slaters dusted with calcium and 3 little pieces of nectarine. Previously she has also been offered small beetles and spiders and crickets and clover but does not eat as readily as red or the Pygmy.

Yellow: much more relaxed. Varies in colour often. Moves happily about the enclosure. This is the one with saggy skin. This morning she ate heaps of nectarine. She really freaked out when she saw it and was chasing my hand around to get it faster. She also had 3 slaters dusted in calcium.

They are in a 4ft enclosure with a uv light and basking spot of 35c. We are having 40 degree days and they are outside in the day in a bigger enclosure with climbing logs and access to shade.

Pygmy bearded dragon: this is the one who drank heaps during his bath. He drank for about 20sec straight 3 or 4 times. He doesn't seem to like veg. He just eats bugs. He is in a separate enclosure and I only have him because the woman did not say he was a Pygmy when I first bought him and I didn't know any better. I'm still chasing her to find out what species he actually is because apparently there Erie 2 scientific names (???)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back