sandstone rock outcrop / windblown cave backing for enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanharvey1993

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
has anyone built a realistic sandstone rock outcrop / windblown cave for there reptile enclosures, I would like to try replicate this type of habitat for a display tank, I have seen the simple ones people build but would like to know how I can build a really realistic one, that covers the floor of the enclosure aswell as the backing, just like something you would see in a national park in sydney, pics would be appreciated.

thanks.

I want it to be heat resistant, solid and have a natural feel also, reason I want it solid is because I wanna stick a few flat rocks on it to make it even more natural and to provide more hiding places.

i have a honeycomb sandstone cave interior i built for my brown tree snake. i'll take a photo for you after work.

look foward to the pics, did you build it yourself? I want to make something similar to that with a section that it like a ridge top above it and stick a few light flat sandstone rocks on it, want to make it really natural.

I have made several fake rock backgrounds. my rocks are fairly dark,howver that is just my preference, and with oxides could change them to sandstone easily.

Also they are not full enclosure size. I prefer to have them smaller so that I can take them out for cleaning. Usually I put one in each corner to cover mose of the back wall.

There are photos in an album on my profile. Mke sure you leave feedback.

I have made several fake rock backgrounds. my rocks are fairly dark,howver that is just my preference, and with oxides could change them to sandstone easily.

Also they are not full enclosure size. I prefer to have them smaller so that I can take them out for cleaning. Usually I put one in each corner to cover mose of the back wall.

There are photos in an album on my profile. Mke sure you leave feedback.

they look pretty good! thanks.

I want to make it out of material that will retain heat like sandstone so I can heat it in the day with light and it stays warm at night. could I use cement to make it and somehow get sand onto it to create texture, of course painting it when its done. or is there anywhere I can buy this type of thing?

So might be for a certain elapid that lives in rocky outcrops in Sydney ?

nope I am making a nice enclosure cause I want to buy a big leaf tailed gecko (saltuarius sp) and I know they like rocky areas so I thought I would make a really nice display enclosure, I wish I had a class two though, wouldnt mind a broad headed snake :p

what makes you think it would be a broad headed snakes enclosure though, because the rock is gonna be sandstone? and there is gonna be windblown cave in it, doesnt sound very good for a broad headed snake as they like tight spaces, a big cave would be stupid.... plus I am not old enough to keep one.

still awaiting your pics jack :)

Last edited:
no something that needs a stone rock that holds heat , broad headed's use the retained heat in the rocks to keep warm meh thought it would be a good thing to have no intent to stir

Hi Ryan

I am making one out of 'Hebel', aerated concrete. You can buy it in different size blocks, its light, easy to carve/chip, and should retain heat. Coat it in a polyurethane driveway coat and add some coloured oxide powder for shadows and colour....I'm only halfway through so not sure how it will look yet. Mines going into a fishtank underwater.....hopefully.

some photos pertinent to discussion. sorry for the delay ryan, was entertaining last evening.

Attachments

• IMG_5849.jpg
    IMG_5849.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_5852.jpg
    IMG_5852.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_5858.JPG
    IMG_5858.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5864.JPG
    IMG_5864.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 135
thanks everyone, will check that link out

also where do I buy hebel from? that sounds like the sort of stuff to use.

yer kupper suppose it does sound like a broad headed enclosure with rocks retaining heat,

wow very impressive jack, is that real sandstone? can you buy stuff like that and where? also nice broadies

styrafoam, carved and cooked to shape.
sealed with many layers of pva mixed with oxide powder.
coated in a few layers of a product called liquid sandstone.
left out in the weather for a bit.
looks and feels like the real thing, but many kilos lighter!

You can buy hebel at some hardware stores....Bunnings & Able I know have it...:)

Luv the back ground Jack! hope mine turns out ok, I'm modelling it on Kakadu rocks which are mostly smooth....not like the sandstone.

kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back