Seeking info on V. Tristis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malley

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wondering who keeps either Varanus tristis tristis, or Varanus tristis orientalis? Does anyone breed them? The usual questions too: how are they kept? Can i see pics of animals and set-ups please?
Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve,

I recently acquired a pair of V.tristis myself.
I house the pair in a 4 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot tank with a hotspot of about 60 degrees and plenty of hollow logs.
I use about 4 inches of substrate (red sand from a Landscapers) as they like a bit of a dig as most Monitors do.
I feed my tristis on woodies, crickets & pinkie mice & rats.
Here's hoping for a clutch out of them soon!

:p Thanks bigblackdog, they look great! How old are long are they atm? Im definately looking at getting more monitors, they are so cool 8)

Cheers Malley.
Not sure of their ages, as the guy I got them from had no real idea on Monitors.
They've been attempting the 'wild thing' lately, so I hope they're of breeding age!
What Monitors are you keeping at the moment?

I only keep a trio of gillens atm, but look forward to getting more soon. Youll have to let me know if they successfully breed :wink: Im looking at getting a slightly larger species and sorta just looking around. Id absolutely love to get 1 or 2 lacies but as i do not have the room for an outside enclosure im unable to get them atm :( Do you keep any other monitors at all?

These are scalaris.....your Tristis etc as all tree monitors maybe housed in similar fashion.
I myself rather a taller enclosure with branches etc which they are happy to utilise for climbing.
These also have been mating for the last week.

Malley said:
I only keep a trio of gillens atm, but look forward to getting more soon. Youll have to let me know if they successfully breed :wink: Im looking at getting a slightly larger species and sorta just looking around. Id absolutely love to get 1 or 2 lacies but as i do not have the room for an outside enclosure im unable to get them atm :( Do you keep any other monitors at all?

At the moment I have Gilleni, Scalaris, Storri & Tristis and am measuring the backyard for my wishlist Lacies...

Indicus, what height is your Scalaris enclosure?

:) Thanks for that indicus, looks like a great set up you have there.

Indicus, what height is your Scalaris enclosure?...This enclosure is only about 1.2m... would be better if it was double that IMO.
I used to have a trio in an enclosure that was about 2.5...they did really well....alot of branchs etc to climb on etc :wink:

What would people suggest for the size of an enclosure for adult pair of tristis? Obviously bigger is better, and height is important because they are tree monitors...so is 4ft x 2ft x Whatever height you can afford, good for a pair?

Fine for a pair Mally; however you said it....bigger the better.
They like to climb, hunt, explore and may have a favored branch to lay on etc.
So yes IMO bigger is better....especially considering some forms of Tristis can get quite large.

Tre,
Mate I'm glad to here those pair are breeding...it was a shame what happened to their eggs before!!! If you ever want to re-house that pair just let me know!!!

BBDog,
It's good to see a nice clean enclosure with the correct temps setup for these monitors. You should have success if you keep up this good work and they'll breed for you, providing of course the previous owner who didn't have a clue about monitors was right and they're a pair ;-)

Simon Archibald

Cheers.
So anybody breeding tristis this season, or known of someone who is?
Please keep me posted on your pair bigblackdog.
Cheers, Malley

Great shots fellas,

love those Scalaris! Can you tell us what locality their from? I've only ever seen the yellow -bellied variety in the bush around Wyndham (Kimberley).

Do you have any Mangrove Monitors Indicus??

Cheers,

Varanus.

Simon_Archibald said:
BBDog,
It's good to see a nice clean enclosure with the correct temps setup for these monitors. You should have success if you keep up this good work and they'll breed for you, providing of course the previous owner who didn't have a clue about monitors was right and they're a pair ;-)

Simon Archibald

Simon.

I know one's definitely a male based on his size & the size of his spurs.
Providing he wasn't just trying to exercise his dominance, the other is a female!
I know you're looking for Monitors now, but I'm happy to keep you updated on the progress of the Tristis if you wish.

Sorry guys, gonna bump this one up.
Anyone else keep these guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back