Shark diving South Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abnrmal91

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey just wondering if anyone has gone shark diving off port lincoln with calypso charters. I am looking at going with my brother at the end of july. If you have been was it good? Upload some pics if you have any.

Cheers Daniel

I haven't been but an old roomie had and he said it was amazing

edit:
Ive just walked along beaches/coasts in Lincoln and seen plenty of sharks, so no doubt the diving would be insane.

Last edited:
Always been on my to do list. If you go please take pictures, it would be an amazing experience. I'd love to be fortunate enough to just see a monster great white, but to dive with one would be so amazing, I couldn't even being to convey it.

Hate to say this but go to South Africa
Some awesome dives there with BIG whites and plenty of them
One guy called Johanne offers a free trip if you dont get the chance to touch one
Not see one
But actually touch one

Another little known place where there are very very many decent sized Whites is Stockton Beach Near Newcastle
When the mullet are running the whites are everywhere
Just ask the local fishermen from Nelson Bay
Dont think anyone has a dive charter offering that though as they are pretty hungry and right against the beach
Mainly in the section between the wreck and up to 2ks from Anna Bay
Nobody who is in the know ever surfs that section
Couple of guys from the fishing club had a game chair set up on the bonnet of a 4X4 and had a ball for a while
They quit after a couple of BIG whites tipped them out of the little dinghy they used to run the baits out past the breakers

i have free dived with reef sharks in carnarvon that was cool until 3 were circling me then i thought it might be a good time to take my leave seeing as i was spear fishing and alone lol, i have also scuba dived with the sharks in the WA aqwa that was less impressive.

Nope, was going to but then saw the price, couldn't get that money lol.
swam with the tuna instead.. that was awesome too ;)

Hate to say this but go to South Africa
Some awesome dives there with BIG whites and plenty of them
One guy called Johanne offers a free trip if you dont get the chance to touch one
Not see one
But actually touch one

Yer I know south Africa is the best place, I want to go there one day. I am going to south Australia for 2 1/2 days over a weekend to do it as I can't get anymore time off work. I am struggling just to get these days off.

Cheers
Daniel

Oooh so youre not an SA local?

In that case you should enjoy the place...i havent been since i was little but I remember it being full of marine life, I collected so many urchin shells etc.

Hopefully its as nice as I remember and you enjoy it!

Casey

Oooh so youre not an SA local?

In that case you should enjoy the place...i havent been since i was little but I remember it being full of marine life, I collected so many urchin shells etc.

Hopefully its as nice as I remember and you enjoy it!

Casey

Yer it's only going to be a quick visit and about 13hrs traveling and sitting at airports haha fun.
Yer hopefully it should be good. Cheers Daniel

Where are you travelling from?
Im sure you know but you can fly from adelaide to lincoln, though lots of people drive despite the huge distance,

Hope you have fun, enjoy!

Sa is freezing right now btw so bring heavy clothes!

Casey

I will be flying from Sydney to Adelaide and then to port lincoln but most the flights I need to sit at Adelaide airport for a couple of hrs. On the way back I have to detour through Melbourne which makes it even longer. Yer I know it gets cold I am just hoping that the wetsuit keeps me warm.

I used to live in Port Lincoln and work as a tuna fisherman, I never went out on the Calypso but I do know that they are good at what they do. They even have names for the regular pointers.
This is a good time of the year to go looking for pointers in Lincoln, the seas are relatively calm although the water is very cold (pointers like cold water) this time of year and there's plenty of big pointers around.

I was looking to go out with them in Jan which they said they were seeing about 5 sharks a day. From what I gathered from my phone calls is stay in Lincon a night or 2 as boat come in after plan to Adelaide flys out. They were about the only 1's that offered a day trip rest were overnighters so really u don't have a choice if u Wana go just for the day. Price was about $550 if I remember right but would be worth it! Hope u both have very nice wetsuits!! Lol good luck and let me know how u go!

I used to live in Port Lincoln and work as a tuna fisherman, I never went out on the Calypso but I do know that they are good at what they do. They even have names for the regular pointers.
This is a good time of the year to go looking for pointers in Lincoln, the seas are relatively calm although the water is very cold (pointers like cold water) this time of year and there's plenty of big pointers around.

I like the sound of that, especially calm seas. I went deep sea fishing of sydney a couple of months back and the weather was terrible raining, storm, massive swells = sea sick haha. There was 2 boats that left the same time both about 50 feet and you couldn't see the other boat whenever a wave came up. They turned back as it was to rough ours didn't. Made for a fun 8hrs. I am more worried about sea sickness then the sharks lol

Update. Flying to SA tomorrow, diving on Saturday so stay tuned for pics Sunday or Monday (as long as I am not eaten lol) can't wait. Bought a underwater camera the other day, haven't tried it in water yet. So hopefully the pics are alright.

Looking forward to your update! I was floored when I first moved to Australia and discovered that you could dive with Whites here. I've dived with Black Tips but diving with Whites has been on my bucket list since first seeing the flying Great Whites of South Africa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back