Smallish Lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midol

Reaction score
Hey,

I put another crack in my 8*2*2 tank this arvo so I can't use it as a fish tank so decided to put lizards in.

What lizards won't grow over 20-30cm? I am not a fan of geckos, I prefer streamline bodies that don't have funny tails and such.

Also, can lizards be mixed in with turtles? For example, is there anyway I could design it so it's got two pools, a creek and sort of dirt bridges where water flows under and keep turtles and lizards in the same enclosure? I don't care about having to spend a lot of time cleaning.

So... I guess... If it is possible what species of fresh water turtles remain SMALL?

ETA: Ohhh, what gear is required for the lizards anyone recommends and rough costs!

Sand Swimmers, though I wouldn't keep small lizards with turts. All swimmers need is a heat mat and a constant supply of food

the only lizards that are really compatable with turtles are water dragons, but they get huge. i would try central netted dragons but that means no turtles.

If you want to keep small lizards with streamline bodies and set up water features in your tank, forget about the turtles, I would recommend Eastern Water Skinks ( Eulamprus quoyii ) or similar.
I loved watching the wild ones around my backyard fish pond so much I desided to get into keeping reptiles and find some legally bred ones.
I have a six foot fish tank set up with a two foot section as a pond and just got my first baby water skinks home today. They are so cute!

Nice, they are awesome looking.

I love the look of all the lizards mentioned :( Once I get a job I can see a large lizard collection appearing.

I think for the 8ft I am going to get the eastern water skinks. Assuming they aren't too hard to keep (gonna do some research soon)

Hi Midol,
The book Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity by John Weigel is worth a read. It covers all the lizards mentioned above.
I don't know if there are any spots left or if you can get to Brisbane but I am also planning to do the Small Lizard Husbandry course with ERD http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...izard-husbandry-course-with-danny-brown-68788

Eastern Water Skinks are supposed to be good for beginners.
I use a coir peat substate and leaf litter ( washed and oven dryed ) I also have some live Herring Bone Ferns and Mondo Grass which do well with very little water and low light. I use a UV fluor over rocks around their pond and a infra red heat lamp on a dimming thermostat at the other end near a hide with a branch to get closer to the heat if needed. They can be territorial so have hiding space for each animal.
They like to burrow into the soil but are very active in the day and get used to being watched very quickly.
They eat all kinds of insects and are great little preditors. Dusting the insects in a calcium powder seems to be recommended for all lizards. They can also be fed non fish type canned cat or dog food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back