Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D1ABLO

Reaction score
So, I have been loving and raising my little Jungle Python for about 8 months now, and i was reading through the forum, and couldnt work out something.

It seems to me, that the cost of breeding snakes is pretty equal between the species, yet, some pythons are sold for 300 dollars or less, while others are sold for Thousands.

Now, im not a retard, i understand that some are more rare then others, like if you had a rough scaled python or something, then it would be worth Huge amounts. And i realise that once a snake has grown for a year or two, its colors mature, and you find stunning patterns develop that would raise the price, but how come people think that they can charge over a thousand bucks for a hatchling??

i was pretty keen on throwing some more cash into the hobby, and pick up another snake this breeding season, after i finish building the enclosure that im working on.

After having a look around, i quite like the Green Tree Python, and the Black headded. yet, both of these snakes cost the majority of a bloody paycheque...

So, i guess what i am asking, is:

Why do you charge more money for breeds that are not particularly rare???

some are harder to breed.. some have smaller clutches thus less are produced.. some have more demand because they might look nicer or something.

iv heard BHP's are fairly difficult to breed, hence the higher price even though they are comming down

Like James said there is not one single factor but many (too many to list) that determine the price of a particular snake. You just need to work out how much your willing to spend and try to get something you want that fits your budget.

BHPs are primarily reptile feeders, so can be tricky to get eating rodents. As mentioned they are also harder to breed than most other pythons.

GTPs were once rare and have more involved husbandry requirements than many other pythons, although i get flamed for saying this their price is dropping fairly quick.

Why charge more money for stuff that isnt rare? why not if someone will still buy them?

D1ablo, I wont attempt to answer your money question because that's not my field of expertise and I don't want get tangled up in that issue again. There are few things in your post that you may want to look at again. For example, Rough-scaled pythons are not rare on the market and they don't cost huge amounts of money. Also, although some pythons, for example scrubbies, are not much to look at as hatchlings (they develop their colours and patterns as they get older), the majority of pythons go the other way around. Antaresia, jungle carpets, etc., are brightly coloured when young and may (not always) go dull as they grow big. Experts can tell the potential of some hatchlings and price them accordingly, newbies usually can't. Your 8 months-old carpet is nowhere near breeding age anyway, so take some time and research those things first, it will help you to make the right decision when it comes to it.

cheers guys.

the main thing was that i wasnt seeing the difference i guess, between a snake that i want to spend the cash on, and the ones that are Worth me spending the money on.

i have a pretty much totally disposable income anyway, so its not unheard of for me to throw a whole paycheque at something on a whim, i just wanted to make sure that spending the thousand + bucks on a GTP from waterrat would be a smart move. I have heard great things about the snakes that you produce, so dude, keep it up.

but yeah, i guess its as i thought really. if you Can charge that much, why not? you get to do something you love doing, and you get rewarded for your efforts not only by way of bettering the hobby, but financially as well. def a win win.

cheers,
Ryan

cheers guys.

the main thing was that i wasnt seeing the difference i guess, between a snake that i want to spend the cash on, and the ones that are Worth me spending the money on.

i have a pretty much totally disposable income anyway, so its not unheard of for me to throw a whole paycheque at something on a whim, i just wanted to make sure that spending the thousand + bucks on a GTP from waterrat would be a smart move. I have heard great things about the snakes that you produce, so dude, keep it up.

but yeah, i guess its as i thought really. if you Can charge that much, why not? you get to do something you love doing, and you get rewarded for your efforts not only by way of bettering the hobby, but financially as well. def a win win.

cheers,
Ryan

Spending a few $ on a snake is better than gambling or buying a new model car, computer etc. as long as you get something that you think is a fair price, you seem to be looking in the right direction, but some sell poor quality illegal exotics for crazy prices if you arnt careful. Have heard a few stories of new keepers buying illegal asian farmed snakes(or at best decendants of) for $5k being claimed to be australian native.

Ryan, clear it up a bit, are you thinking about investing into a breeding program where you hope to make money or are you after an animal that "has value"?

More important than the price of the snake is to consider what you get included in the price of that snake. Information and support is of more importance paticularly if you are new to the snake hobby. Just read a page or two of APS and you'll find there are a miriad of opinions about what to do and not to do, often backed up with limited experience. If possible buy lacal from someone who has something to lose and who will back the snake they are selling. In the end you will find the snake is the cheapest part of the equation after you consider caging heat and possible veterinary involvement!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back