Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coatesy

Reaction score
Just wondering how everyone keeps their snakes warm during this really cold weather? Also is it better to turn off all heat at night (to cool down). We are currently running heat mats (night & day) and heat lamps only during the day. Our house is so open and tiled so it gets really cold and it was just 2 degrees here earlier in the week. What are the best temperatures to keep them at night & day? We have olive pythons, spotted and our newbie (picked up yesterday) a coastal carpet.

We are hoping to breed however they may be too young this year - they are currently in together (olives) (spotted) trying to keep power bill down (expecting $1000)

What size are they, as it is the size that matters. The cages should have a hot spot in the cage around 32degrees. That is if you are not cooling.

if your unsure about there size ( big enough to breed ) than i would heat them back up and get them feeding so that thay are primed for next season . you will need to heat the whole room to about 24 degrees that thay are in to achive this..
$1000 sounds like a huge bill . what else are you useing ? i heat 10 cages with heat cord and a few 100 watt globes and run a normal house of 4 people and wood heater and my bills are never more than $600 per 1/4 in the winter...good luck

Thanks coatesy for starting this thread. I just logged on to ask the same question. We are new owners of a 5 month old spotted python and we are experiencing the exact same problems.

We have just a plug in (black box type) thermostat for our heat mat (set to 32deg) but the air temp in the enclosure is going down to 10 degrees and lower at night. The last two mornings I have found him at the cold end and not on the heat mat (there is hides at each end) and he's freezing..... We have still been feeding him up to last weekend, but the temps have only dropped suddenly this week. We're not sure what to do. We are worried the air temp is too low and that we should have an additional heating source (moonlight bulb) during the night. Is there a thermostat that can manage a heat mat and a light source at once or do I need to buy a second thermostat and run one for each????

What should we be doing to keep him warm at night?

Our female olive is around 10 feet and our male slightly smaller ( he is younger). I might try the blanket thing cause heating the room is not possible as the house is open plan and the room is far away from the heater. The power bill will be huge due to heaters, fish tanks, snakes, dryer and the fact that we have been here since Jan and still haven't got a bill!! Keep the ideas coming though thanks for the help!!

As long as they have acsess to heat during the day it dosnt matter if it drops to those temps at night, infact for alot of species it is a good thing. The larger the temp gradiant when cooling the better.
Your olives are heaps big enough to breed.

If your heat mat only gets to 10c get a higher wattage matt , particularly since you are using a thermostat. If the ambient temp is getting down to 2c youll need about 40watts to provide a32c hot spot.

My thoughts exactly Slim - we wont be back till late next year or early 2010. We will be batck though!

Thanks to everyone I have a few ideas to try. At the moment I am trying the blanket. it should keep some heat in!

I'm trying to keep 3 Morelia (6 months old) feeding all winter, so it's constant heat and blankets over the cage at night in my place. I don't like to let the temperature drop too much at night because they have full tummies. I'm trying to convince my husband to move all enclosures into the lounge room (warmest room in the house) to increase heating efficiency, but our Bredls are already in big enclosures and he doesn't fancy hauling them upstairs. (Gosh - wonder why)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back