Speckled roaches food + pygmy dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akar0522

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just recently acquired a pygmy bearded dragon and bought lots of speckled feeder roaches from the Herp Shop to feed him.

My question is: What's the best food to feed the roaches?

I've been giving them fresh carrot (shredded) every day or two so that they don't die of dehydration. What sort of dried food should I give them? I've tried some fish food (pellets not flakes) but they don't seem to be eating it + fish food stinks :shock:

Oh, I almost forgot to ask if pygmy dragons should be kept in small groups (2-3) or if they can be kept on their own? - One of mine escaped on Monday and I haven't been able to find him :cry:. How long can they survive without food? He's only about 6 weeks old.

Hay u should try guinepig pellets for the dry food and a sponge soaked in water so they can suck the water out dont over fill it or they will drowned just put enough water in a container for the sponge to soak up

They will eat practically anything. I use whole carrots and dry 'Friskies" catfood for staples and then use any kitchen scraps, such as bread etc. Last night I put a cooked piece of pork (in honey and mustard dressing), an out of date tub of potato salad and some dehydrated dates (originally fresh) all found in the back of the fridge into the colony. Today all that remains is the plastic tub from the potato salad (clean as can be) and the date pips.
I'm sure one could depose of a body in there and then only the bones would need to be dealt with!
Bob

I'm sure one could depose of a body in there and then only the bones would need to be dealt with!
Bob

Shhh, that was my secret plan. Now all I need is 100kg of roaches ...

Shhh, that was my secret plan. Now all I need is 100kg of roaches ...

Nah, keep the body in the fridge and feed off in smaller potions. Then just sell off the woodies as the colony expands. You'd be able to start the process with a much smaller number.

If I buy a small tub of woodies (1000grams) what do I keep them in?
Do I need to set up a large container and provide heat for them? (not sure how I would do this actually) Im buying the smallest ones for a beardie thats comiing in 2 weeks. I understand you have to feed them in a colony, but what if you buy the small tubs?

Sorry for hijacking your thread here akar. :)

I feed mine mostly the dust from the bottom of GR2 (rat cube) bags and carrots for liquid. There is no need to grate the carrot.

At times I have provided other fruit and vegetables for a "drink".

They would get more kitchen scraps but most of these got to the rodents.

no problem venus.

Just thought i'd let you guys know that i found houdini again (my escaped pygmy beardie).:D He has tried to escape numerous times but luckily has only succeded once.

I went to get some roaches out for gump (my other pygmy) and found houdini right next to the roach container. Guess he got hungry and smelt the roaches.

I found out how he escaped (small gap in the mesh above the tank) and have patched it up.

Sooooo happy :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back