Stupid places you have fallen from

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squinty

Reaction score
Last Saturday I was fishing off the local boatramp breakwater, alone. Didn't catch anything after about 2 hours. Decided to pack up my gear and leave. Went to get my fishing rod and next thing I know I slipped and fell. All ten feet down the rocks to the water. Lost my rod, shoes, glasses and hat. Yelled for help and dragged myself up the rocks. Could not breathe. It was terrible.

Managed to somehow get to the land and was calling out to people to help me as I was struggling to walk and had numerous cuts and bleeding everywhere. I asked atleast 10 people to call me an ambo as I couldn't see a thing and my phone had gotten wet and wouldnt work. Luckily this nice lady and her two sons came over and called and ambo. They waited with me for it to arrive and even offered to go let my mrs know I had an accident.

The ambos checked me out and advised me I needed to go to hospital to be safe. Luckily no broken bones, just bruised my hip, hip bone and shoulder plus lots of grazes. Feel like a knob. Hahah. Still hurts now. I can still hardly walk. Oh well.

The worst bit is my mrs told me not to go fishing on my own on the rocks incase I fell. Haahahaha. I'll never hear the end of it!!

Where's the stupidest place you have fallen from??

Ohhh to name a few:-
Out of a tree at 8 months pregnant.
out of the back of a 4x4 "because" the driver thought
I had already fallen out lol....
Through the door of a local police station(long story)

Thank god you didnt get knocked out squinty......you wouldnt be here !!

I havent fallen anywhere....and never broken a bone....I have this fear of heights that stops me climbing lol......

I've fallen of a couple of motorbikes at high speed. Fallen out of a plane a few times - OK, I jumped, but gravity didn't discriminate.;)

Fell of a horse once and knocked myself out. That was good fun.

Lol Back when I was still going to school (I do home school now It's awesome!) I fell off the monkey bars in year 3 and broke my arm, my fore arm (just above my wrist) went all wavy ( that was feaky)
the weirdest thing about it was that when I fell off I landed on my back (not my arm) and to this day I have no Idea how I broke it.

I have fallen out of a train before (at work and it wasn't moving) but other then that the usual trees and stuff.

Well i looked up the definition of falling (one of the less common ones) "To lose an upright or erect position suddenly". Motor bikes on a farm and big letterboxes that brake the bike instead of itself that is made out of wood should not be put right next to a tight turn when a new guy riding a motor bike at 40km/h that cant turn very well... moving on i was close-lined by a massive wooden post box and i was extremely disappointed to find out that i had not made one dent onto this postbox and i had received a nice big red bleeding line across my chest. but it was all good.

A giant wheelbarrow. Seriously. The thing's like 10 feet high. There was alcohol involved. If you don't believe me, google 'giant wheelbarrow, Hokitika, New Zealand'. I didn't realise it was missing a few planks in the bottom at the time lol.

A giant wheelbarrow. Seriously. The thing's like 10 feet high. There was alcohol involved. If you don't believe me, google 'giant wheelbarrow, Hokitika, New Zealand'. I didn't realise it was missing a few planks in the bottom at the time lol.
Sorry, laughing with you dear with you ROFL definately not at you :p

Stupidest places I've fallen from?
Chairs.
School desks.
My mates' shoulders.
A slowly moving car.
Chairs.
Chairs.
Did I mention chairs?

A mate of mine fell 12m down a cliff face when he was 14 on a school excursion and had to be rescued by SES. Took them 6 hours to winch him to safety.

Made the 6 o'clock news and the paper!

you got off lightly. i fell off a break wall, onto rocks below. i broke two ribs and lumbar vertebra. day two of a ten day fnq holiday!
but the stupidest fall was from the bottom rung of a ladder, resulting in an arm green stick fracture.
actually, the stupidest fall may be from using the handlebars of a motor bike for a seat, that put me in hospital for ten days...

My mum fell of a 40ft gully... While doing Tarzan swinging it was getting to the end of the day and she just slipped of the rope. Broke her ankle in five places (now she's got a plated ankle) she dislocated both shoulders, broke her wrist a few fingers... She was in a wheelchair for 3months recovering.

After having one of those dreams about falling off a cliff I fell out of bed lol.

I live in a house with a "cape cod" style roof. During a big storm a branch speared through a tile and water was pouring in onto the downstairs ceiling. In a moment of brainlessness (if there is such a word) i went upstairs leant right out of the window hanging onto the sill by my ankles and tried to lever the broken tile out to replace it. The next minute i was sliding face first from about 5 metres. with no chance of grabbing anything i made a last ditch effort as i hit the guttering before a 2m drop to the ground. The guttering ripped off, cut my hand deeply and i landed on my back on the concrete and my head hit the jagged rock edging on the garden. It felt as though my back had broken.

To make matters worth my wife was a few days off giving birth. I was in a weird position because my shoulder had ripped out and was hanging out from my body badly dislocated. My head was gushing blood i couldn't move and i was stuck supporting all my weight in an awkward position and i thought the worst. Luckily a neighbour heard the commotion and put a blanket around and under me to support my weight a little, it was bucketing down rain as well. It seemed like an eternity for the ambos to arrive, and everyone was highly emotional as i was certain i had broken my back. I sucked down as much pethedine as i could on the way to the hospital. After clearing me for spinal injuries a surgeon tried to get my shoulder back in, it was quite brutal. They eventually had to knock me out and my wife said they had knees in my chest to pull it back in and the noise of it going back into place was quite horrific.

My spine was black and bruised from top to bottom but luckily no bone damage. It took me months before i could even walk properly again. Months of physio and rehab and finally i could function, but the shoulder has never been the same.

It's funny when i look back on it, how stupid i was and the ride on the way down, but i do realise it could have gone really bad. And in the end the roof downstairs was stuffed anyway and insurance paid to fix it so it made me feel even more idiotic.

Gird

Tripped and fell down my front steps a couple years ago. Already told you guys about that and what happened to me afterwards including gory photos of my left shin after the surgeons had butchered me. (Was taking the garbage to the bin before going to bed). Not really stupid or a fall from a stupid place.

Another nasty fall I had was about 23 years ago on Nobby's Breakwater (at a place called The Shark Hole - I was fishing for snapper at low water near the NE point of the little bay under the green beakon tower near the end of the wall).
As was and still is my practice when fishing for snapper or jewfish from the rocks I had cast out (a long cast required there to get onto the gravey bottom about 80 -90 m out from the wall - big rods (14ft - 16ft long 5 - 8 wraps with big Aveys (I favour 651c5 reels loaded with 600m of 25 lb high quality mono and FSU5163 home made rods for snapper off the rocks, aways a chance a nice jewy will eat the bait intended for snapper ) and as is my practice I'd stuck the sandspike on the bottom of the rod into a handy crevice between some big boulders with the rod standing up and reel set to free spool. This outfit is not exactly light ,some guys hold their rods, I don't. Was just a matter or watching the tip of the rod for nibbles, and the line as the current dragged the bait and sinker along slowly along the bottom (6oz snapper leads and strip of squid about the size of your index finger on a 6/- hook) , these are serious fish..... suddenly the tip of rod was pulled down and the big alvey started spinning and screaming and I acted instnctively (I'd been sitting on a handy rock about 8' feet away from the rod) and I ran to grab the rod and throw the antireverse drag lever to the engaged mode and to set the hook and my foot slipped on one of the rocks I'd stepped onto and I more less did a superman and landed flat on on my stomache and face with the rod under me on what happened to be a big flat chunk of old concrete.
I was knocked out (I think) and lost the fish - BUMMER - got to have been a jewy, big snapper virtually hook themselves they grap the bait so hard and fast, but a jewy will drop the bait if you try to set the hook too soon - and when I came round , the other guys fishing near me say I didn't move for a couple of minutes and they thought I might have killed myself - I discovered my left arm really hurt heaps an dther elbow didn't work ( ?!?! OUCH !!! and some other colourful words I wont repeat here ) ,I still managed to get back up onto my feet under my own power , but a bit wobbly on the feet , I somehow held the rod in the crook of my left elbow and reeled in with blood streaming down my face from the cut on my forehead and down both my legs from cuts where perrywinkles had cut and dug into me when I landed on the rocks.
Turned out I'd badly dislocated my left elbow and there was no way I was going to be able reduce the elbow by manipulating it myself (like I did a couple other occsasions (all fiushing accidents and slips or tripups) ), nothing for it - I had to stemmy the blood flow and bandage myself up somewhat (I carry some basic first aid stuff in my fishing bag) and I then somehow had to climb back up to the top of the breakwall and walk back to Nobby's Beach car park carrying my rod, gaff, bucket and shoulder bag, one of the guys helped me (a hike of about 3km) and from there I called my dad to ask him to come collect me , my car and the gear and take me hospital.

Was reduced under general and the arm was in a sling and cast, was kept in over night for observation since I was also concussed and had a head injury too, and I was out of action for several weeks - so much for that snapper and jewy season. Took a few years for full movement and strength to return to the elbow.

Never occurred to me go for a compo payment from the Port Corp , my attitude is if you fish the rocks you gotta expect the occasional fall or nasty slip and you risk injury. That's the nature of the actuvity and sport.
Again not really a fall from a stupid place - unless you think fishing on the rocks to be stupid which it can be if the sea is too large.

Last edited:
I live in a house with a "cape cod" style roof. During a big storm a branch speared through a tile and water was pouring in onto the downstairs ceiling. In a moment of brainlessness (if there is such a word) i went upstairs leant right out of the window hanging onto the sill by my ankles and tried to lever the broken tile out to replace it. The next minute i was sliding face first from about 5 metres. with no chance of grabbing anything i made a last ditch effort as i hit the guttering before a 2m drop to the ground. The guttering ripped off, cut my hand deeply and i landed on my back on the concrete and my head hit the jagged rock edging on the garden. It felt as though my back had broken.

To make matters worth my wife was a few days off giving birth. I was in a weird position because my shoulder had ripped out and was hanging out from my body badly dislocated. My head was gushing blood i couldn't move and i was stuck supporting all my weight in an awkward position and i thought the worst. Luckily a neighbour heard the commotion and put a blanket around and under me to support my weight a little, it was bucketing down rain as well. It seemed like an eternity for the ambos to arrive, and everyone was highly emotional as i was certain i had broken my back. I sucked down as much pethedine as i could on the way to the hospital. After clearing me for spinal injuries a surgeon tried to get my shoulder back in, it was quite brutal. They eventually had to knock me out and my wife said they had knees in my chest to pull it back in and the noise of it going back into place was quite horrific.

My spine was black and bruised from top to bottom but luckily no bone damage. It took me months before i could even walk properly again. Months of physio and rehab and finally i could function, but the shoulder has never been the same.

It's funny when i look back on it, how stupid i was and the ride on the way down, but i do realise it could have gone really bad. And in the end the roof downstairs was stuffed anyway and insurance paid to fix it so it made me feel even more idiotic.

Gird

I'm not keen on climbing ladders or climbing onto my roof, the front gutters are only about 10 ft off the ground which isn't too bad,but the back gutters are more like 16 ft of the ground.

Fall from either of those heights and you'd lucky to survive the sudden stop at the end of the fall. (a fall of 1 m on a hard surface can be fatal).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back