Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i love the look of red sand, would it be a bad idea for my coastal?

Its really a personal choice i think, there are lots of people that say 'no, dont use sand for snakes' although there are others who use it. I 2 like the look of red desert sand & thought being from a drier place my bredli would be ok on it........she got a little sand in her eye though & i panicked! After a quick wash she was fine, but i no longer use sand!

For snakes, I know a lot of people do use sand, and i'm not saying their wrong, this is just my opinion of what I've heard and I see what makes it true. Sand can get into the pits on the jaw of some pythons, and cause infections, which is possible, but I'm not sure how true it is. With regular bathing, that should eliminate that risk. Also it can get under the scales.

Just something to consider.

Newspaper. Easy to clean up, replace, plus they seem to prefer hiding under it than in their proper hides

I loved Aspen snake bedding, mostly because it's aesthetically pleasing.. With the light colouring, my snakes stand out / contrast nice against it.
However, I'm in the process of phasing over to CareFresh because it's cheaper.. I can use it for my snakes, rats and as cat litter.

I wouldn't doubt if I end up going back to Aspen, though.

just curious on what kind of substrate people think is best for there reptiles?

The ones that are most suitable for their habits and specific needs for each species... I have the full range from sand, tiles, aquarium gravel, coir peat/sand mix, breeders choice kitty litter, and kritter crumble. Each type for a specific species.

Oz pet litter forl snakes and shingles, great fro removing odour from stinky bogs. :p

plus it looks nice. :)

sand for beardies and geckos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back