Suggestins?Rat with micoplasmosis ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soundfix

Reaction score
Hi all, i have a 14 month old male rat,that had a series of broncial probs,-has had antibiotics,been on a nebuliser with ALBUTEROL, but after weeks of good days and bad,its finally caught up.
At the moment,his breathing is so laboured,he is breathing from his abdomen, and occaisionally opening his mouth and gasp.
This can not go on, and i will most probably have hime euthenaised tomorrow.
Realise its late, not much time, but he's is suffering and i had to try something.ThanksIMG_0152.jpgThis is the little guy in better days.

sorry to hear buddy, i have a male rat about 12 weeks now. can i ask what do you mean by you had to try something ???

:(

sorry mate, im a vet nurse and had a rat with serious myco for 3 yrs, passed away in october 3 days before her 3rd bday :( i treated her mostly with a combo of BAYTRIL oral, VENTOLIN oral and the most important one, VIBRAVET (DOXYCYCLINE) oral paste. its a horrible disease but things like steaming, physio and medication really help. good luck mate, and if you want to help make him more cumfy try putting his cage in the bathroom and running a hot shower to steam the room

We had the same issue with one of our rats and we fixed it using Baytril, for an adult male rat we dose .2ml once a day.
It tastes awful so we mix it with a little passionfruit syrup and custard and use a syringe to squirt it into their mouth (Gently not like a water gun just fast enough for them to lap it up as it comes out.)
Also try to give them a lot of fatty foods as they drop a lot of weight, try chicken skin, pork fat or any other fat from roasts and what not.
Hope this helps and Good luck.

Yer, he's had exact same treatment, though insyead of the Baytril he had Gentomicin?.The Doxy paste, was really hard to get him to take, and dosing him with anything at the moment, doesnt even seem worth the stress.Poor little fellow.:-( Can you tell me, what cause the last breath-is it the imflamtion or the snot?
Also he is acting very odd, doesnt want to be alone and is staring and just hunched over.
sorry mate, im a vet nurse and had a rat with serious myco for 3 yrs, passed away in october 3 days before her 3rd bday :( i treated her mostly with a combo of BAYTRIL oral, VENTOLIN oral and the most important one, VIBRAVET (DOXYCYCLINE) oral paste. its a horrible disease but things like steaming, physio and medication really help. good luck mate, and if you want to help make him more cumfy try putting his cage in the bathroom and running a hot shower to steam the room

Last edited:
Slightly insensitive,-Mate im female, ..Im not going to do that,i cant anyway, ive tried before.besides even though this little guy would make a great organic snack for someone ,because he was my little buddy and 'we bonded', i will bury him.,when the time comes!!
knock him on the head!!! swiftly!!!

to me the most humane reaction is to give him a swift send of sorry but no pain = no pain

I too keep pet rats and dont feed rats to my snakes for that reason. Mate thats like saying knock your dog on the head when it gets sick and feed it off. Not very nice when she is asking for help to save the little guy.

correct , girls can do anything, and i choose to end his life in a humane way.I am not going out into my yard, to bludgeon any animal at this time of night.
If it has to be done it has to be done.
But it doesnt have to be done like that because we have Vets that can do it more humanely. You dont have any bonds with your pets?Thats odd
Anyway, apparently its natural for females to be slightly more compassionate the a male.
---------- Post added 27-Dec-10 at 01:17 AM ----------
>>Matt 01
(Gently not like a water gun just fast enough for them to lap it up as it comes out.)
Yer i had heaps of trouble , he dont like it in his mouth at all, i figured the slow drip way was the best also.
Just steamed him for a while in my laundry and his chest has slightly settled and hes gone to sleep. he should be right, although after work tomoz, he go to ratt'ie heven.

---------- Post added 27-Dec-10 at 02:16 PM ----------

Hazem the rat was euthenaised this A.M. I understand that some people can humanley'kill' their rodents, but i did try it once (wack on the head of juvi' rat with a spoon),,and it was quick enough-though when i seen its head,starting to bruise and swell, it just made me sick.
Ive decided i will have to learn one of the methods,-interested in any advise on how to handle euthenasing,
Vet didnt charge me consultation, charged me $32 for the injection.. The other option was to gas him for $180.Regarding the injection,It was green liquid,ina 5 ml syringe, not Ketamine, but he described it as, a anesthetic overdose,didnt catch the name of drug.he plunged it deep into the liver, it was over in half a second.
We had talked ect whilst the injection took place,asked me if i was taking his body home ,he knows i have snakes ect,-had a few jokes about snake food.The chemical he overdosed Hazem with would def not metabolise ,and thus would be very harmful to a snake, if fed to it..I found it odd, that he didnt mention the toxicity, would hurt my snake.(He prob just forgot,)but appreciate any comments.
Thanks to anyone that helped out last night.
Tis all good now, .
My Mum used to say, Death.The ultimate healing.'No more suffering'
I now understand, and agree.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back