Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimatly it just depends on what u think looks nice. Everyone has different opinions on whats best (usually depending on what they keep). Hypo bredli seem to be the flavour of the month and r probably within ur price range. Otherwise their r classic bredli wich i think look great (i might be biased i have 2). Then their are the antaresia (sp?) group wich r probably more in ur size range. Most carpets will exceed 2m as adults. BHP look great and u could probably fetch a low level one for ur price but they will exceed 2m aswell. Jungles are usually smaller than other carpets but r well known for being snappy and although other carpets r snappy as hatchies it is not uncommon for a jungle to never calm down. Generally all require the same amount of effort to look after them( which isnt much) although some small anterisia can be tough to get feeding after the stressful move. Ne way its all up to personal preference so good luck.

Oli

Thanks for all the ideas. What a range of snakes to choose from! I have done a few searches, and am pretty keen on the bredlis at this stage. There are some absolutely stunning ones around (Romper Stomper is my favourite!!) and even the "average" ones are quite attractive in my eyes.

Can anyone recommend breeders that are known to produce particularly striking or unusual bredlis (anything that might be worth paying a little extra for)?

Cheers,
Tuttley.

IMO, for that money i would go a B&G Jungle....
Look awesome, they can be snappy but with persistance they can be tamed.
When young they tag you but it really does not hurt... one point though you may have to wait till the end of the year early next year to get yourself a hatchie, it's a bit late now.

Thanks for all the ideas. What a range of snakes to choose from! I have done a few searches, and am pretty keen on the bredlis at this stage. There are some absolutely stunning ones around (Romper Stomper is my favourite!!) and even the "average" ones are quite attractive in my eyes.

Can anyone recommend breeders that are known to produce particularly striking or unusual bredlis (anything that might be worth paying a little extra for)?

Cheers,
Tuttley.

southernX and roy pails have very good looking bredli's. im not sure about private breeders.
Bredli are great snakes and will prob get over 2m but are very slow growers so it will be a good 3 years+ before that happens.
just out of curiosity, why do you want one smaller than 2m? most carpets, BHP's, water pythons and even some woma's get bigger than this so you are greatly limiting the potential snakes available to you.

just out of curiosity, why do you want one smaller than 2m? most carpets, BHP's, water pythons and even some woma's get bigger than this so you are greatly limiting the potential snakes available to you.

Good point bredli84!

I think from a 1st snake buyers perspective size can 'seem' an issue.

1st buyers want something they deem as 'controllable'.
ie. Easy to handle, not too powerful (as in young kids won't get eaten), and not TOO BIG! LOL

It is a common misconception that many of the uninformed have about snakes. "if it's big, it must be dangerous".

Funny enough some of the smaller elapids (particularly Adders), appear small and containable, though i'd rather take a bite from a 3 meter olive python than a 3 foot death adder.

I guess once you own that 1st snake, and learn a bit about herps, boundaries come crashing down and that 3 meter olive you once worried about, becomes your best mate ;)

I love Diamond the best, especially High Yellow ones.

Great snakes and great temperment usually.

Depends what you like the look of best and as you said you dont want an aggressive snake, then maybe keep clear of Jungles.

Bredlis and Womas are pretty nice in looks and generally in nature.

if you want something small maybe a stimpson.

the only other reason i can think of for wanting a smaller species is enclosure size... perhaps the guy already has an enclosure but it is not large enough for the bigger pythons.

get a bredli they are so laid back - hypos are very pretty imo
out of all my pythons they are the only ones that have never bitten

Hi Guys,

Yeah, you are right, 2m is too limited. I changed my mind a bit about that shortly after I did a bit of looking around and realised how few species that would cover. What I should have said is "medium size python", that is more what I am after. Why not a big one? You are on the right track with it being a bit daunting for a first timer, also the larger enclosure required etc.

Also, I know I have missed the boat for this season's hatchies, but I am not ready to buy yet anyway, so next season suits me just fine.

Cheers,
Tuttley.

Cheers,
Tuttley.

Hey Tuttley... I would recommend Steve Leisk from DoLittle Farm, he's based in NSW and he's got some amazing snakes, could be a little bit more pricey than other breeders though. I got my Murray Darling from him and she is a fantastic little girl, very hardy, great feeder and love being handled. She's also got fabulous colouring (check it out on my threads http://www.aussiepythons.com/showthread.php?t=56446 )... I would definitely recommend a MD as a first snake: they're beautiful, easy to look after and very hardy... But if you really want a bredli, Steve's got some amazing ones. Contatc on http://www.dolittlefarm.com.au/ Good luck with your new snake, and don't forget to post pictures, we all love them...!! Cheers, Yann.

Wow Yann, Princesse is beautiful!!!!! I had almost ruled out MD, but after seeing Princesse, they might be back in the running. Romper Stomper vs. Princesse, the showdown.......

Wow Yann, Princesse is beautiful!!!!! I had almost ruled out MD, but after seeing Princesse, they might be back in the running. Romper Stomper vs. Princesse, the showdown.......
Thanks Tuttley...
MD rule...!!
hahaha...
I don't know Romper Stomper, I haven't seen any pics yet, but will look for the threads, unless you could provide me with a link... (I know I could be lazy sometimes...!!!)
Thanks again for the compliment, I'll tell Princesse, she's gonna love it...!!

Cheers,
Yann.

I'm in the same boat as Tuttley (except I've never owned any reptiles before). I'm looking at possible first pythons atm. Luckily I've narrowed it down to a carpet of some sort (the Murray Darling being my favourite thus far).

I've had experience with pythons and I would dearly love an Olive but I know they're too big for a first snake. I like the BHPs but I'd much prefer a python with a large head; I just prefer the look and I like the fact that they can take bigger prey.

Anyone have a carpet variety that they think is the best for a first-timer?

If you like the look of MD's then get one, they are good first timer snakes. Cheap, hardy, usually placid.

Yeah, I'm actually thinking a MD might be best. I've had a few people tell me they're really placid so I think they'd be ideal. I rather like the Honey-coloured Jungle Carpets too though...

get a bredli they are so laid back - hypos are very pretty imo
out of all my pythons they are the only ones that have never bitten

not all are laid back hahahaha
my mate has this fisty bitch of a bredli lol and she is only a yearling. The guy he got it off only handled it with a stick and with gloves and she can strike and latch on so hard she'll draw blood every time.

choose somthing that chooses you and if fine handled by you, not just for the colour.
go around meet breeder research and check the petshops out cause in the end it is your choice and choice only you have to love it and be comfortable anouph to handle it with no gloves and no stick.

cheers Jody

gloves and sticks? ok sticks maybe....but people wear gloves?!?!?!
i never knew that! i guess you do learn something everyday huh?
but do people wear gloves for pythons? i mean they dont have venom, and not many are capable of anything more than a shock and a quickly healing staple wound? i mean i dont like getting tagged cause of the motion of it all, but it never hurts, then again it might from a 10-15 foot coastal or olive? ill find out eventually im sure.

oh and on the topic, get yourself an MD, or stimsoni (wheatbelts rock hard! CHECK EM OUT!)
get the other stuff for your second snake, EVERYONE will tell you, your gonna get more, and trust me YOU WILL!

its true. they're addictive. Spotteds and stimpsons are great. For somthing a bit bigger, i'd say definitly a bredli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back