Super mice genetics?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Just wondering how the genetics for super mice works. I was told that the males carry the genes so males over a normal female will increase the females litter size?

I don't know the genetics but can't see how a male over a female would create larger litters.
These are "super ovulating" mice. I can't see how mating with a male carrying the gene will cause a non carrying female to "super ovulate". The female would need to carrying the gene as far as I can tell.

thats what i was thinking, yes possibly the progeny would have that trait but i would think mating a male over a normal female could have any effect on her litter

The amount of young a female produces is dependent upon how many ovum are released by that female.
Mating a male "super mouse" over a normal female mouse will not induce super ovulation in a normal female and nor will it result in larger litters of young.
However any progeny produced from the mating will carry the super ovulation genetics.

I could be wrong but i would imagine it would be a polygenetic trait, if it was a sex linked trait carried by the males it wouldnt work as has been pointed out.

Do super mice have smaller young, if so how much smaller?

I have mice that have 12-16 per litter and the pups are smaller than the litters I have gotten from petshop mice.

I think i may have "pure" supermice, 4 weeks back i had a female drop a litter of 20 :shock:

b3df2b15.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back