Taking Baby Blue Tongue out of tank - how long?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrx-chick

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well, we are 3.5 weeks into our reptile journey and all good so far :) My son's Baby Bluey is now 9.5 weeks old and growing, we came home yesterday to discover his first shed (since we got him), which my son was very excited about!

A quick question though - he would love to take him to school to show his class, but as it is during the day, and "Tiger" is usually in his tank with his heat and UVB lamps during the day, I am not sure about how long he could be away from these for... just trying to work out whether it is a possibility, or would have to wait until I have a day off to take him up for a short visit...

Any help with this would be great, thanks!

Amy

Hi Amy depending on what state you live in it might be illegal to take your reptiles off the premises in which they are being kept at. Also with a young animal it would be best not to disrupt its daily patterns too much.

I would suggest that you take it in on a day off or organise a temp holding enclosure to keep it in during the day. If you can get him out into the sun for a couple hours a few days before he wont need uvb for that day.

Make sure it is ok by the school aswell, maybe write a letter to the teacher and see what sort of feedback you get.

Rick

Definitely check your license conditions, just to be safe :)

If it all gets sorted, IMO: he will be completely fine for a day providing its not TOO hot or TOO cold outside.

As plain as it sounds, it would be better for your son and his Bluey to just take pictures to school. In addition to a possible breach of your license, the stress on the Bluey is more than you think.
Can you trust your son to limit exposure to the other kids against peer pressure, do you trust a teacher or other parent to look after the Bluey to make sure it is ok when your son isn't able to watch him and finally, are you prepared for the worse if for some terrible reason, it may happen?

It seems like the negatives far outweigh the "show off" positives.

Just my 2c having been there...

Exactly !

As much as you want to show off your new baby it is too risky

As plain as it sounds, it would be better for your son and his Bluey to just take pictures to school. In addition to a possible breach of your license, the stress on the Bluey is more than you think.
Can you trust your son to limit exposure to the other kids against peer pressure, do you trust a teacher or other parent to look after the Bluey to make sure it is ok when your son isn't able to watch him and finally, are you prepared for the worse if for some terrible reason, it may happen?

It seems like the negatives far outweigh the "show off" positives.

Just my 2c having been there...

On the assumption it's okay with your license conditions:

Personally I think if you're taking the bluey in yourself and back home again straight away, I don't really see a problem. Blueys are tough as nails, they're notorious for being practically bulletproof and that is why they are recommended so highly as a first reptile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back