Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow cement, totally just twist what I said. You just said Humans have nothing to do with it, yet you said "Humans like to be liked" So which is it? Humans have nothing to do with it or they do? I also never said your scrubby was old, I said as pythons get OLDER and BIGGER they tend to become more docile. But like most people I come across in this world, you pick what you want, and you hear what you want, and any one that disagrees with you is wrong. You can't just seem to accept the fact that people have some really awesome snakes that really enjoy the company of their keeper/s and some are just like people and are well, just jerks....

You can't just seem to accept the fact that people have some really awesome snakes that really enjoy the company of their keeper/s and some are just like people and are well, just jerks....

I think it's the "really enjoy the company of their keeper/s" that cement has a issue with.

Oh good luck to you joyce!
I just had an epiphany,,,,, the browns that you catch that don't ever move must be the people snakes. So must all the snakes that end up in houses and cars. They just love being around people... And to think I caught my first wild brown snake 31 yrs ago, and have been keeping, breeding and relocating for years now, and it never dawned on me that was the case.
Many thanks for putting your extensive wisdom and experience down here so that I may benefit, I feel I owe you.

I recall John Cann saying snakes are just snakes and that's what he likes about them. Be pretty hard pushed to find someone more experienced than the Old Schoolers.

You can't discount it, thats for sure.
It's important for new people that are getting into snakes to let them be....snakes. Not what we want them to be.
Thinking about them this way, ultimately manifests in good husbandry.

You know what, this is fast becoming a clash of ego and far from the original point of the thread. Is interaction with your snake important? At the end of the day probably not, but I get my girl out and handle her as it is the easiest way for me to let her have a stretch/exercise as I am paranoid about birds like the fat kookaburras we have around here if I let her out on the lawn. Do I do it because I think she wants to give me love/affection/cuddles? NO. Do I like the experience of having her use me as a tree? Yes. Is all of that bad for the snake? No I don't believe it is.

Am I a long standing owner/breeder/relocator? No. But my snake is healthy and seems rather content and shows no signs of aggression or distress so I figure my all importnat husbandry must be ok. It gets a bit insulting when a 30 year veteran treats anyone with less than 10 years experience as an idiot, because a lot of us are not uninteligent, we research and we learn... and we use common sense.

*Just to be clear that vent is not soley due to this thread or posts directed soley at me. Some of the best discussions I have had about snakes with experienced people involve mutual respect and the experienced veteran was able to agknowledge that they could see why I held a particular point of view even if they didn't agree with it or they felt there was a wider issue to be considered. If you want to encourage people to grow in the hobby some members would do well to stop with the sledgehammer approach to teching people where they are completely right and anyone with a different point of view is clearly completely wrong.

Last edited:
You know what, this is fast becoming a clash of ego and far from the original point of the thread. Is interaction with your snake important? At the end of the day probably not, but I get my girl out and handle her as it is the easiest way for me to let her have a stretch/exercise as I am paranoid about birds like the fat kookaburras we have around here if I let her out on the lawn. Do I do it because I think she wants to give me love/affection/cuddles? NO. Do I like the experience of having her use me as a tree? Yes. Is all of that bad for the snake? No I don't believe it is.

Am I a long standing owner/breeder/relocator? No. But my snake is healthy and seems rather content and shows no signs of aggression so I figure my all importnat husbandry must be ok. It gets a bit insulting when a 30 year veteran treats anyone with less than 10 years experience as an idiot, because a lot of us are not uninteligent, we research and we learn... and we use common sense.

SPOT ON! Absolutely right. It's turning into who can puff out their chest more and who has the most back hair. The sarcasm is very patronising and condescending, it's very rude and only loses the person respect. Opinion is opinion. Move on.

I think a 12 hour time out is in order. Lots of good information from both sides but its turning into a slagging match. As its been touched on, this is not an ego competition and we have all had our different experiences. Just because its happened to one person does not mean its going to happen to another.

Ill reopen this thread later once tempers have settled and the public feuding has stopped as this thread has potential.

Just remember, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Thread reopened. Any further nastiness will not be tolerated.

Last edited:
Is interaction important to the reptile??
Probably not

Do we even begin to understand the actual capacity of reptiles to respond with what may be called
'emotional responses' for want of a better term????
Definitely not

There is far too much anecdotal evidence that shows some reptiles have interacted with humans
in ways that cannot be easily explained

Although science may say 'No Big Brain = No Emotions" perhaps we simply dont understand how to scientifically read
those brains/responses correctly

We are mammals
We apply mammalian responses/tests to everything
I wonder if that is why we may never understand reptiles??

Thankyou Longqi, that was what I was trying to say earlier but I think you explained it better than I could.

I wasn't going to post again here but then I thought I should, just attempt to clear the air as seeing that I was partly responsible for the thread closing.
Firstly, I do apologise to anyone who I may of insulted, it is never my intention to insult people, but I am aware that quite often what/how I write comes across as insulting to some.

Also, for those who don't know me, my background is with wild herps first and hobby or captive herps second. I've held high position in local wildlife rescue and care organisation, and only just retired from that due to work commitments. The amount of sick /injured snakes lizards etc that have come through my own facilities and been released as healthy animals speaks for itself, all of this was financed by myself with no reimbursement at all. I have worked with arguably the best herp vet in Australia for years (in the capacity of having him to fall back on, when I am out of my depth). I have even given you some help too Peter, though you never acknowledged it.
I don't write this here to big note, just to let some know where I come from in regards to experience.

When I wrote "humans like to be liked, even seemingly" what I meant is this. Doing countless relocations you get to meet many people. Trying to put this into an understandable quantity, I use the word insanity. At the shallow end we have people like me who take things on face value and simply love their animals, providing excellant husbandry etc. At the deep end we have people who find solace in animals, quite often to the detriment of the animals themselves. These people are the sort who don't quite fit into mainstream society and often can't look after themselves let alone an animal or two hundred. They find solace in animals because they lack the fundamental human need for being accepted/liked. Cat lady is an example.She has a filthy house, lives alone with 20 cats. Do you see ?
There are many levels to this "insanity". I once had a bloke who can only be described as a serial wild animal collector. he would take reptiles from the wild, then call me up to get them and release them. Most were ok and released pronto, others ....well they needed some work. Humans like to be liked...it is human nature and universal law.

Back to the topic, this is a purely philosophical question. Those of us that lean to the esoterical viewpoint of life will think one way, those of us who have a more practical viewpoint will lean the other. If interaction means dealing with your snakes husbandry and well being, then yes interaction is good, ie a snake kept in a box can't clean itself can it? So human interaction is definatly required.

Why do people believe that their snakes like them?
Are these beliefs founded only in pythons, or would these people be up for testing these beliefs with vens?
Why is it, that when a female snake broods her clutch to hatch day she then leaves and never looks back, yet we are supposed to believe
that our snakes are capable of liking us?

I am of the opinion that the interaction by free handling part, is good for the human psyche. The snake couldn't care less, though it does get some 'enrichment'.

The reason why older and experienced keepers lean towards the no handling realm is because they understand that one way or the other it makes no difference to the health of the animals, only good husbandry keeps a snake healthy. Many believe and I am one, that free handling stresses snakes (though in short doses, of no consequence), and keep handling to a minimum when breeding. It is common knowledge between people who rehabilitate injured and sick snakes that free handling them definatly causes stress and therefore handling is always kept to an absolute minimum. Even looking in on them is preferably done in a way that the animal doesn't know its being looked at.
Why is this?

I am not saying don't free handle your snakes. Try telling this to a first time snake owner... there is no way. I was the same and I can understand why people like to free handle their pet snakes, because I was just like that. They are just to different an animal to anything. They are secretive, not like cats and dogs. They are rarely seen in the wild and people who get a new snake as a pet feel somewhat different to other people because they have this animal that strikes fear into normal people. It edgy and its exciting, the world of snake keeping is a mystery.
After time and experience, especially if you work with wild animals, you realise that a snake is just another animal that fills a niche in the ecosystem. Keeping one or two pet snakes that are very placid only gives a view into a very limited part of snake life.

Once again, I apologise for my part in getting this thread closed and hope this helps, if anyone wants to carry this on then flick me a pm. Just be aware that I don't suffer fools.

cheers

Well done Cement for actually apologising,but others were involved also..atleast you have the balls to admit you were partly responsible..Your explanation is good...Snakes dont like us,yes some tolerate being handled etc..but they dont have choice..

All very fair points cement, and I too would like to apologise for any misunderstandings. I honestly don't believe that my snakes have any feelings towards me, I however will care for any animal I own, that includes the scoprions I had as a child. I however do tend to believe that some level of handling is important for your reptile. Keeping their living quarters clean for one, and feeding. I would rather have my snakes be able to come out of their homes and into their feeding tanks calmly, than being distressed and having meal time as a challenge, simply because they don't like being handled. However that's just me. What level the owner/keeper decides it totally up to that person. I for one don't think it's abnormal for someone to handle their snake daily, or someone that only chooses to do it once a month. In summary I do believe that interaction with your reptile is important. But don't for a moment think I confuse tolerance with feelings, I do believe that my snakes have a high level of tolerance for humans. Enjoy your weekend everyone.

Your explanation is good...Snakes dont like us,yes some tolerate being handled etc..but they dont have choice..

Absolutely agree that most wild snakes are scared of people and just want to be left alone

What about the ones that do have the choice?
But what about captive bred animals that live in a free range situation??
We had burmese and retics that wandered in and out as they pleased
Often got woken up by one sliding onto the bed
They had vivs set at 30c that they used sometimes
But even if they were not hungry slid onto the bed and annoyed us until they had been cuddled enough
then they either curl up on end of bed or wander off

Those ones most definitely had a choice and exercised that choice as they pleased

We must remember that reptiles have only been 'pets' for a very short period
If breeding was concentrated on behaviour rather than colour we may have seen
slightly different outcomes

I have 5 snakes; 3 are angels and easy to hold, however I have 2 a spotted python and jungle carpet python who would try and bite me without any reason to do so. My spotted I have had since she was quite young and was always held constantly, she just never took to liking it. The junge carpet python has more pressing matters at the moment, he is aproximately 10 months old and extemely skinny I have only recently got him to eat on his own. The girl who owned him previously did not do her research properly nor did she really care for him. I suspect he has something wrong with his jaw, as his tongue consistently sticks out of his mouth. As a baby he was dropped and not handled and I pay dearly for that everytime I use the snake hook to get this 20cm snappy snake out and he still bites.

Personally I don't think I would sell any of my snakes, I love them all so much even when they do decide to bite me and pee/poo on me when I am holding them. However(if I were to ever sell one of my current snakes), a determining factor for me would be if I genuinely knew/thought someone with more expertise could help the snake or give them something that I couldn't.

Well this is nice a bit of harmony and all of a sudden there are levels of agreement between us. Cement I think the key point you raised that I hold close and is the idea behind my enclosure builds and how much I handle Skittles (which is infrequently and only when she is actively in an exploring mode of behaviour), is the idea of providing enrichment to a living animal. The rest of my beliefs about handling snakes as far as emotion was pretty clear earlier on this page.

Joyce I don't think at the start of the thread interaction was meant to entail how often you clean your animals enclosure or when you feed them as that is simply meeting the needs of your pet.

As we have all said they are very different animals and I still side with Longqi that I am not convinced we will ever fully understand their way of thinking. I completely respect what you are getting at Cement but I do still wonder at some of the behaviours that anecdotally look like some level of 'affection'. I'm not saying it is affection as I know full well Skittles does not look at me the way my dog Cocoa does but it is curious how they seem to identify their keeper and the way they behave differently with other people even if they are confident and experienced snake handlers.

It certainly seems there are very polar beliefs regarding the value of 'interaction' above what is required to maintain your animals, and I doubt consensus will ever be reached.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely agree that most wild snakes are scared of people and just want to be left alone

What about the ones that do have the choice?
But what about captive bred animals that live in a free range situation??
We had burmese and retics that wandered in and out as they pleased
Often got woken up by one sliding onto the bed
They had vivs set at 30c that they used sometimes
But even if they were not hungry slid onto the bed and annoyed us until they had been cuddled enough
then they either curl up on end of bed or wander off

Those ones most definitely had a choice and exercised that choice as they pleased

We must remember that reptiles have only been 'pets' for a very short period
If breeding was concentrated on behaviour rather than colour we may have seen
slightly different outcomes

I can't help thinking of CaptainRatbag's 'Boxhead' who happily comes into the rat shed but does not ty to break in and is very easy going about Muz dealing with him... Certainly not to the level you mention but still a snake that appears to be making a choice.

i always enjoy reading your insights mate. Well said.

Wow, so many points of view and I understand why Sniper closed this thread down for a day.

Honestly I love my snakes heaps however I know they are a wild animal, they are not a cat or pup etc that you can cuddle etc. My snake will never be for sale, my parents/brother will never sell their snakes (If they do, I am waiting ;))

I think it is important to handle the snake because they are captive animals, we need/want to handle them. Health, Feeding, Assisting in a shed, Cleaning etc, it all plays down to handling when young/handling in general.

My Snakes are my pets, their enclosures are as natural as I can possibly make them, their handling is more on the excessive side but I have wanted a snake since I was 5 years old and have loved them ever since. I love them because of their independence, wildness and also the fact that every farmer in the state has one (actually most kills them but you should get the point)

I think that basically everyone is correct in a way and everyone has their own experiences in owning/herping or general every day life (wild animals or job).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back