Thorney devil info wanted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1st its info not invo, 2nd i dont think you have the ammount of ants you need to feed one , they eat 1000+ ants a day i think, round 45 black ants a mintue

I imagine that if you look at the New South Wales National Parks and Wildlife Service website that there would be a link to the license conditions somewhere.

what eva thorney devils r just 1 animal in the to hard basket take a look at the latest reptile australia mag

I would have the new reptile Aus mag if someone didnt buy the last one 10 minutes before i got there

They can be kept on a class 2 RK licence in NSW.

Besides their feeding requirements (which is a certain species of ant) I doubt that any private keepers would be breeding them, so purchasing some may not be possible.

Simon_Archibald said:
Sorry...I meant Class 2 licence in NSW

Simon Archibald

Are you sure? I just had a look at the 2005 returns and there are none listed. I thought they were one of the species not allowed to be kept....I could be wrong tho.

or until u move to whyalla in south australia, u can get them there

and there is lots of food for them cause its their natural habbitat

Dave,
In about 2004, or maybe last year, Jeff Hardy confirmed that all Australian reptiles can be kept in NSW, with the exception of Marine Turtles, Marine Snakes and Crocodiles...

None are currently kept to my knowledge though...I looked into it seriously but then I sold my collection...

There are people in Whyalla as Spike said, also QLD and NT that I know of keeping them.

Simon Archibald

Greebo,
Any Herps that are not listed are allowed under class 2 licence.
Only animals exempt are sea turtles, sea snakes & crocs.

can you give me some details of the NT people, Just name and like do they live in darwin, alice, tenant creek etc and a email or a way of contacting them

This was discussed last year. Someone in Mt Isa had some for sale, price was around the $5000 mark. I was surprised because I remember hearing that they only feed on certain ants - a total of about 6 species - and the Devil's range coincided with those species. Apparently it's not impossible, though.

I also found last year, an article written in the 40's or 50's by a woman in North Sydney who kept a few Thorny Devils for a few years. I wrote about it in the following thread:

http://www.aussiepythons.com/index....ays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=moloch&start=15

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back