Translations ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Variety

Reaction score
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone would be able to help me understand some phrases ive come across over the last 2 months of my new hobby :p

Het 50% & 66% and etc lol
t+
hypo

Thanks in advance

Het or heterozygous Het % is the chance they have of carrying the gene. Ie 100% het for albino has the albino gene. A 50% het for albino has a 50% chance of carrying the albino gene

hypo is hypomelanistic Low or lack of black pigmentation

Last edited:
50% and 66% means there is a 50% or 66% chance of the animal being het (Having a or a recessive gene eg, Albinism, Axanthicism etc... The reason the percentages vary is because they have been breed in different ways... So too get a 66% het you breed 2 animals that have the desired gene they are classed as 100% hets because they definately have the gene... Either they have been proven or have a parent that is a full albino or axanthic... So too get 66% hets you breed 2 100% hets that will produce 25% albino or axanthic and 50% that will be 100% hets and 25% that are just normal snake but dont carry the gene. And because you cant verify between the hets and the normal animals they say 66% percent het meaning there is a 66% chance the animal is het for the desired gene... Hypo is a morph or snake that has reduced black pigment too a degree... That is my understanding of these things if Im wrong please correct me im still abit of a newbie lol....

Het % is the chance they have of carrying the gene. Ie 100% het for albino has the albino gene. A 50% het for albino has a 50% chance of carrying the albino gene

^That.
Also t+ is short for tyrosinase positive albino. It's an enzyme used for producing melanin. Regular albinos are t- (i.e. they don't produce the tyrosinase enzyme) so they have no melanin (I think?) but t+ are sort of an "in between". In childreni, it's usually referred to as "caramel" morph. Like t-, t+ albinism is a recessive trait.
Hypo is short for hypomelanistic meaning reduced melanin. Animals that are hypo usually have little or no black pigment. This is the opposite of hypermelanistic where the animals are very dark or even completely black (Bluetongues are a good representation). One of the best known hypo morphs are Bredlis. Instead of the typical rusty red pattern with black framing they are a much lighter red with little or no black. It's a polygenic mutation meaning it's not directly heritable like something like albinism.

Should be RP reduced pattern as IMO it's not a morph and so it doesn't get confused into the jag debate

ok so you might think this is a bit of a troll but i want to know how people come up with 66% chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back