Trying to work out age of baby EWS from estomated total length.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ianinoz

Reaction score
I've been told EWS are about 2" long when newly born. Fiest time I saw the baby was on fathers' Day and I estimate it was pretty close to 2" long then (maybe 2.5" long at most).

How long does it take for them to double their length (say), is it only a matter of a few weeks ?

Do they grow their fastest in the first couple of months and then the growth slows down / tapers off ?

my EWD has doubled in size in less than a year.
first pic is when i first got him and was about 15cmish including tail.
second pic is two months ago and is about 30cm including tail.
22102010215.jpgIMG_0050.jpg
Im not sure on the exact age though. i think he would be coming up on two pretty soon.

Found this http://www.jcu.edu.au/reptilelab/public/groups/everyone/documents/journal_article/jcutst_055700.pdf

And Figure 3 is useful in working out it age. (Lizzy lived inside with us for the entire gestation period (night temps never < 20C and daytime temps never < 26C and she had access to warmth when ever she wanted it on the transformer (36C) and no shortage of food the entire time (approx tropical).
growthrate.gif

and

growthrate2.gif

I think I can maybe approximate SVL from masses.

The SVL I estimate on the baby of about 2" makes it very young according to the data in the above study.

PS : got a great look at the baby this afternoon when it was sunning on the bricks, it's got a magnificent long tail (it's more tail than lizard) and it's head shape is consistent witn it being a female and not a male.

my EWD has doubled in size in less than a year.
first pic is when i first got him and was about 15cmish including tail.
second pic is two months ago and is about 30cm including tail.
View attachment 218614View attachment 218615
Im not sure on the exact age though. i think he would be coming up on two pretty soon.

Great lizard you have there. Is he as spoilt as Lizzy ?

Last edited:
yeh but i try not to feed him/her too much. if offered im sure he could down a box of crickets a day cause his is such a guts haha. temps are similar to your but my enclosure is 1.2m high by 1m wide by 700mm deep and i will be moving him outside when he reaches adulthood. and most likely buy a few more adults and turtles to go in with him. wont be for a few years though id imagine.

I've finally got a good measure of my estimate of Lizzy's baby's SVL from a good photograph that I've been use a my data source.

age.gif

scaling :
a = 45mm apparent image scale on screen
real a = 25mm
svl = 90mm apparent image scale on screen => real svl = 50mm +/- 1mm

from data in http://www.jcu.edu.au/reptilelab/pub...tst_055700.pdf

growth rate (warm gestation conditions ç Lizzy stayed inside the entire gestation period) for mean for both tropical and temperate growth conditions
= 0.04mm / day

Average SVL for new born EWS given in http://www.jcu.edu.au/reptilelab/pub...tst_055700.pdf is 48mm.

Therefore estimated age at time of above photo for this baby EWS is
Growth = 2mm max, 1mm min
Age = Growth / growth rate = 2/0.04 = 50 days max, 25 days min.

My estimate at time of photo was she was approximately a month old which looks correct.

Looks like this little EWS was born on or just before Fathers' Day.

Last edited:
i cought one a couple years ago and she had young cant remember how big they were i guess they were around 2"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back