UVB Lighting for Pygmy Bearded Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilefan95

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all just need some quick help i am getting two Pygmys for my 185 litre tank, i know i will need a uvb source someone suggested that i could use a fluresent light, like those that are seen on top of fishtanks
just want if that would work
thanks

Yeah, as long as it's not sitting on glass, as the uv wont pass through glass. Also need to make sure the fluro globe is uv. I have one of those on my frog enclosure.

Most of the fluorescent lights for fish tanks are not UV lights. You need to get those specifically designed for reptiles (such as Exoterra 10.0 tube) or an NEC T-10 black lights (not commercially available in pet shops).

That's what I said. you can buy any light fitting, fish, reptile, whatever, but it just has to be a uv globe. Which most aquariums are also reptile places too so they will stock both normal fluro tubes for fish and uv tubes for reptiles.

Well i have one i bought from the shop it is a flouresenct UV positive so i hope that will work
any more advice would be good

you need a light that says either 8 or 10 percent UVB, i think teh UVA is 33%, dont quote me on that bit though.

the globes are totally different from the fish ones, or normal flouros.

i use the repti sun or repti glo lights, from the studies i''ve seen they have the most consistent output.

remember UVB light doesnt passs thru glass or plastic and the lights need to be replaced every 6 months.

you could also get a flexarium and put ur dragons out in the sun fro a few hours a week, thats the best form of UVB you could possibly offer them.

Yeah the only probelem with putting them out in the sun for a few hours is i at school and i live right in the center of sydney so lots of cats and dogs

You can get a plastic tub (can't stress the fact that it CANNOT be a glass container), put some mesh over the top and a piece of cardboard or wood over one side to provide some shade, and stick your dragon out for an hour or so in the morning when you're getting ready for school, and a couple of hours when you get home to collect some UV before the sun goes down.

So that might be a thing to think about if i dont think they are getting enough uvb exposure but im pretty sure the fluoresent light will do
Thanks

Um, no. Fluros do not produce UVB. Fluro tubes (like ones used around the home or one top of fish tanks) do not produce necessary amounts of UVB. You need reptile- specific tubes.

you need a light that says either 8 or 10 percent UVB, i think teh UVA is 33%, dont quote me on that bit though.

the globes are totally different from the fish ones, or normal flouros.

i use the repti sun or repti glo lights, from the studies i''ve seen they have the most consistent output.

remember UVB light doesnt passs thru glass or plastic and the lights need to be replaced every 6 months.

you could also get a flexarium and put ur dragons out in the sun fro a few hours a week, thats the best form of UVB you could possibly offer them.

Yea, aquarium lights aren't the same thing. You need a fluorescent tube (not coil), that emits good UVB. The ReptiSun 10.0 would be good. Although personally, I have Zilla Desert 50 T8 15 watts for my beardies, which I hear are new versions. Also don't forget to position your lights correctly. The zillas, for example, have a little chart/uvb index in the back that says how many microwats your beardie would get at a certain distance. The optimum distance is 12" so they can get 50 microwatts. Get it? Well hope thats somewhat helpful to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back