Vegetables suitable for turtles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Socrates

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have six turtles who absolutely love their plants!!! I buy vallis, purple waffle, ambulia, .. pretty much anything the store has. In literally one day they can demolish 5-6 plants (in addtion to their regular nightly feeding) and it's costing me a fortune. So I'd like to suplement their meat and plants with cheaper fruit and vegetables, but I'm not sure what is good for them.

I have heard lettuce, brocolli leaves and banana (?!) are good snacks. Is there anything else? Is it just brocolli leaves or can I put in a whole head?

Thanks for any suggestions you can make.
Socrates

Sorry - didn't realise it would make much difference. They are Murray long necks.

You are far better off providing them with natural aquatic plants than supermarket veges. Try visiting your local creek or pond and see if there is any vallisneria growing there. We planted some and have heaps growing now. I have a book on feeding turtles and tortoises that discusses all the negatives from feeding them unnatural food items.

You are far better off providing them with natural aquatic plants than supermarket veges. Try visiting your local creek or pond and see if there is any vallisneria growing there. We planted some and have heaps growing now. I have a book on feeding turtles and tortoises that discusses all the negatives from feeding them unnatural food items.

are there any aquatic plants to avoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back