Very watery excrement?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane73

Reaction score
Hi guys, I had my python out for a handling session last night, when he decided to defecate (lucky I saw it coming, and thank goodness for lino floor coverings), only thing is there was a lot of fluid in his excrement.

The info. On the 20th Sep fed on 2xfuzy rat (they were labled weaners but fuzy sized).
I noticed he was coming into slough on the 24th sep and shed on 3rd oct.
Fed small rat (55g) 4th oct.
7th oct very watery excrement.
Estimated time since last defecating 18 days (due to time in slough?
I had weighed him 10 minutes earlier @390g and weighed again after @350g
11 month old darwin python

The Q. Is this extra fluid some thing I should be worried about? or is it normal for a python to retain fluids during slough?

The pic.
IMG_20131007_195145.jpg

its python pee lol they pee and they poo just like everything else its normal. and mine love to go toilet all over the place when out of there enclosures or outside they do it every time. Also when there in slough mode leave them be till after wards they tend to feel ugly and like to hide and they have really sensitive skin.

Last edited:
Yeah cheers, I do realize all of the above, just the amount of fluid seems extreme.

my big girl pees everywhere my bhp male sprays like he exploded lol it really depends how much they drink, some don't drink often some slurp it up. depends on the snake. no need to worry

I have a female BHP that pee's everywhere. I always see her drinking and shake my head as I know she's getting ready to make a mess for me...*sigh*...

It makes you realize what they leave in their cage and why good regular husbandry is a must.

I have 2 big messes to clean up today...sigh* bhp just shed and left the biggest turd ever for me and my b&w cape York male has peed everywhere and he's snappy so that's going to be fun....lol

the way I see it though, lots of pee's and poo's means that their little organs are working well and they are healthy :) I hate cleaning a messy viv, but am always glad its out of their system :)

the way I see it though, lots of pee's and poo's means that their little organs are working well and they are healthy :) I hate cleaning a messy viv, but am always glad its out of their system :)

You won't be quite as glad when those 'little' organs become 'large' organs. Not fun. :p

Hi all, thank you for your responses, you've set my mind at ease. I was a little worried as I've only pulled out small hand fulls of wet substrate when spot cleaning, and when doing a full change there has been no sign of excessive moisture.
I'm thinking that maybe the aspen is soaking it up rather quickly and then drying out just as quick...might start looking at other substrates, or no substrate as mentioned above, just want it to look all nice and purrdy;)
Thanks again
Shane

if its absorbing it and drying it up then that's easy clean up I was thinking of going aspens for my Hatchie's but would that mean its hard to keep it moist and humidity levels high?

if its absorbing it and drying it up then that's easy clean up I was thinking of going aspens for my Hatchie's but would that mean its hard to keep it moist and humidity levels high?
Yes easy to clean, but the idea of having aspen with dried up urine in the enclosure doesn't sound too good, could well be a breeding ground for bacteria, and yes I think it would be hard to keep humidity high, when I change the water I usually give the aspen a fluff up and its always very dry, and I have had some issues with humidity during slough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back